Is S video better than standard video?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Matthew S, Feb 19, 2002.

1. Matthew S

Matthew S Auditioning

I have a Tosh 3750 which has an S video out. My TV is a Panny CT27SF11S and has an S video in. My Yamaha RXV496 reciever has an S Video out also.
    Will the S video connection dramatically improve my video quality, and if so do I hook the DVD player directly to the TV (like I do know with the RCA video out), or from the reciever to the TV?
    Thanks!!
    Matt[​IMG]

2. VinhT

VinhT Second Unit

Connect the DVD player directly to the TV using an S-video cable for the best results.

3. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

You should see a significant improvement with an S-video connection on DVD. If you want a quick way to see the difference, take a look at white credits on a black background. With composite, you'll probably see little lines and flecks of color around the letters; with S-video, it should be clean.

Whether you route it directly to the TV or go through the receiver is up to you. Some people don't like to have anything extra in the signal path, but most receivers pass the S-video signal without noticeable signal degradation. You can always try it both ways to see.

M.

4. Matthew S

Matthew S Auditioning

I picked up the cable today. Ran it directly from the DVD player to the TV. Noticable improvement.

Thanks for the input!

Matthew