What's new

Is "Rudy" a good blind buy?? (1 Viewer)

Gary_O

Stunt Coordinator
Target has it for $7.99 this week. I've never seen it but have always heard good things about it. Anyone have any opinions on the movie, transfer, extras, etc??

Steve O

Stunt Coordinator
Gary -
Although I've never seen the DVD, I can definitely vouch for the film. In my opinion, this is the best football movie ever! The cover art is a bit of a spoiler, but it's still one that you'll watch again and again if you've ever played (or just plain love) the game.
A keeper. :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
You'd be hard pressed to find a more uplifting and inspirational story Gary! :emoji_thumbsup: I can't say enough about Sean Astin's performance in the lead role, he's just great. The message of going after what you want with dogged determination and not letting anyone tell you that you can't do it is powerful and genuin.
The transfer looks beautiful on my 48" HDTV and the 5.1 mix is really decent and shows off Jerry Goldsmth's wonderful score very well, it also has it's own isolated track which is a big plus. They don't do isolated film scores nearly enough IMO, so it's nice to have that here. I would have loved to hear a commentary from either Sean Astin or the real Rudy Rudeger but sadly neither are featured on the disc. :frowning:
I would definitly say pick it up. :)

David Rogers

Supporting Actor
It's one of those "uplifting" stories about a little guy who couldn't (but really could) finding within himself that which is necessary to could.
A good flick, FWIW. And it has Samwise ;)

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Yes a great film and great dvd. And for 7.99 that's a steal! I got mine a couple of years ago I think for 19.99!

Brian Lawrence

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
UGhhh, Stay away, far away!!!
Rudy is #2 on my all-time worst movies ever made list.
Sorry, I just don't find a movie about a sniveling whiny little tard, to be very inspiring. There is a scene in the movie in which Rudy jumps onto a chair and starts reciting football quotes, while we are supposed to find this inspiring, all I could keep thinking was that I'd like to knock that chair out from under the little bastard.
Rudy is not presented as someone who triumphs over adversity, but someone who only thinks he has done so, because in the end, everyone takes pity the mental midget.
:thumbsdown:

Chad A Wright

Supporting Actor
I enjoyed it a lot. Anyone else notice how Sean Astin tends to play small, not-so-bright people (or hobbits)?

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
Gary, don't listen to Brian...his opinion is in the vast MINORITY. This is a great film, one of the top sports movies ever made, very uplifting feel good type of picture and might be the best $7.99 you'll ever spend.

I'd get it just for Jon Favreau. Try to spot him about 60lbs heavier than in Swingers!

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
Although I am not a Notre Dame fan, I thoroughly enjoyed this movie. The Jerry Goldsmith soundtrack is excellent.

Robert Standefer

Stunt Coordinator
This film is on my top ten favorite films of all time.

BTW, terms like "mental midget" and "tard" are offensive. Offensive opinions are the first to be dismissed.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks