Is RP-91's DVD-A Performance Good?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Doug_B, Oct 9, 2002.

1. Doug_B

Doug_B Screenwriter

I'm considering getting a Panasonic RP-91, ahead of schedule for when I was going to upgrade my DVDP, as I can get a good price for it. I am wondering how the DVD-A performance is, as I haven't read or found much discussed in this area.

Once I get a projector, I will possibly look into another upgrade, if DVD-A and/or DVD-V performance improvements are non-negligible (for a price limit in the range $1K - $1.5K).

Thanks.

Doug

2. John-Miles

John-Miles Screenwriter

The DVD-A performance is good, but without bass management it is not worth it. to my ears dvd-a offered a better sound, but the bass problems made it seem almost hollow compared to cd. of course the only dvd-a I ahve listened to was Metallica's Black album but i did a direct comparison to that and the cd.

there was more detail in the dvd-a but liek i said it was hollow without the bass

3. Doug_B

Doug_B Screenwriter

Thanks John.

4. John-Miles

John-Miles Screenwriter

No I dont have an ICBM. and my speakers are PSB Alpha Intro's.

Like I said the main thing i noticed was there was a much fuller sound comming from my speakers when i played the cd as opposed to the DVD-A. but damn hearing all the background guitar riffs and everything was awesome. so much more detail its not funny.

With an ICBM you would likely do fine with the RP-91 I know I am personally considering the RP-82 and an ICBM or perhaps the pioneer 45a.

Doug do you find any benefits to ahving the ICBM? I dont think its worth it for me to buy one just for listening to dvd-a but if it adds significant benefit to other material as well i might just go that route.

5. Doug_B

Doug_B Screenwriter

6. John Geelan

John Geelan Screenwriter

I use a RP91 and an ICBM and yes, the combo does make DVDA's sound great.
    At this point, an ICBM is a must if you use small speakers (8" woofers or less) and a sub.
    The ICBM does a nice job of directing the bass to where its needed, into the sub(s).

I use the ICBM along with the RP91 and a Sony 775 SACD player.

7. Zack

Zack Auditioning

Actually, the RP-91's DVD-A performance is excellent (although everything's relative). I work closely with a major retailer, so I have almost 100 DVD-As & DTS Audio DVDs in my collection, and I've heard most of them. In all cases, they sound markedly better than the Dolby Digital versions, and MUCH better than CDs. Also, the CD-upsampling is pretty effective. I think to get better performance you'd have to be in the $1,200+ range.

One issue is jitter - it measures out a bit badly on the RP-91, but at least it has full 24-bit processing. In tests, certain competitors (like Toshiba high-end) had lower jitter, but didn't actually process any more data than a 16-bit CD player would. Weird, but true.

Interestingly, the worst DVD-A I've heard to date is the Metallica black album, so whoever posted previously should re-listen with some other selections.

Finally, lack of bass management is not an issue, so long of course that you have full-range speakers. I'm running analog pass-through into an Outlaw amp with Tara Labs cables, into B&W Nautilus 804s (with othe Nautilus all the way around), and it sounds great. Want to be blown away? Try the Barenboim Beethoven Symphonies...

8. John-Miles

John-Miles Screenwriter

Well the Metallica DVD-A is the only one i have and ive only listened to it once.... when i borrowed a RP-91 so i cant make any comparison comments, but i did like it.