Is Royal Tenenbaums a real Criterion title or not?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chris Bardon, Jul 18, 2002.

1. Chris Bardon

Chris Bardon Cinematographer

I know there's a review thread for the film already, but I'd rather aviod any spoilers since I just bought this disc blind today.

The reason I ask if it's a "real" criterion title though is that I only paid $21 for it. Usually, Criterion titles run at $50 + here. For comparisson's sake, I checked out the Rushmore criterion disc at the same store, and it was $55. It has a criterion label, and is numbered in their collection, so what gives? Does this mean that all the future Criterion releases are going to be similarly priced?

2. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Yes it's a real Criterion disc. Basically BVHE hired Criterion at Wes Anderson's request to prepare the DVD

3. John Bryant

John Bryant Second Unit

Since it was jointly distributed by Buena Vista, it was released at a mass-market friendly price. Also, I am sure it will sell a good amount of copies, more than some of Criterion's more "obscure" titles. Also, Criterion did not have to secure the rights for the film, so that helps bring the cost down some.

4. Colin-H

Colin-H Second Unit

MSRP is $29.99. Many Criterion titles are priced similarly. The only one lower (correct me if I'm wrong here) is Chasing Amy, which weighs in at $19.99. I'm sure these things will be $22.99 at Best Buy by the end of the year.

I'm assuming it's cheap because it was a straight-to-Criterion release, so it has to be priced reasonable enough to move. Anything over $20 street crosses the "I'll just rent it" line for many people.

5. Matt Pelham

Matt Pelham Screenwriter

Because it wasn't released in a seperate, non-criterion edition, it was priced more like a regular DVD. Normally double disc criterions carry a SRP of 39.95 (with Spartacus and Armageddon at 49.95). I really hope Criterion makes this a habit, as collecting their titles tends to be harsh on one's wallet.

6. Chris Bardon

Also, since it seems like Criterion titles are all considered imports up here, it would make things a little easier on the wallet if they continued this. Any chance of something similar happening for Rushmore now?

7. Darren Davis

Darren Davis Stunt Coordinator

I was also surprised when I stumbled upon TRTs Criterion Coll. in, of all places, Target. And, on an even better note, it was only $17.99. A blind purchase was made that day and I couldn't be happier about it!

8. Chris Bardon

Yeah, watched this disc last night and loved the film-who could have thought that there could be a good movie with Ben Stiller in it?

9. Thomas T

Thomas T Producer

Who could have thought that there could be a good movie with Ben Stiller in it? Anyone who's seen Flirting With Disaster, Your Friends And Neighbors, Empire Of The Sun, Reality Bites or Meet The Parents.

10. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ

11. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

Criterion are rediculously expensive in Canada, and no, TRT isn't going to be a model for future releases, it's only the BV tie-in that does that to the price (like Chasing Amy or the Beastie Boys Anthology).

I think Spartacus is in the $70+CAN range.

12. Nate Anderson

Nate Anderson Screenwriter

13. Lance Nichols

Lance Nichols Supporting Actor

I was also suprised to see the Criterion version of Traffic for less then the entire GDP of Canada. Then realised that it was co-distributed up here by Alliance Atlantis.

Royal at least has the correct Spine Number... Traffic does not have one. Instead it has AA's version of the DVD logo.

Good god, I just bitched about cover art "correctness". Something I never thought I would do. (For the most part I have not minded the dual language canadian covers.)

14. Keith Paynter

Keith Paynter Screenwriter

Criterion, as an independant company, spends a lot of time and money in securing the best elements for their editions. In the days of laserdisc, their products were frequently delayed several timez. Brazil is a prime example. The participation of both Terry Gilliam and Jack Matthews, and the hurdles Criterion went through to secure the TV cut are typical of the kind of efforts they have gone to in the past as an independant to create a truly special edition (although it is one of their priciest as a result).

They are not usually associated with studio titles unless it is done at the request of a director or studio. Does anyone really think that The Rock or Armageddon are "important classic or contemporary films" in the way that their Laserdiscs of Blade Runner, M, Seven Samurai, Ghostbusters, The Graduate, or King Kong helped define the special edition under the vision of Criterion and The Voyager Company?

Thanks to laserdisc and DVD, studios pay more attention to creating their own special editions for their home video releases, and prepare a wealth of material, as opposed to the time and effort it takes to dig up materials for inclusion on special editions of older films.

15. Randy A Salas

Randy A Salas Screenwriter

16. Aaryn Chan

Aaryn Chan Supporting Actor

Does it means it 'll go OOP one day?

17. Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell Producer

Damin J. Toell

18. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

19. Eric T

Eric T Second Unit

20. John Bryant

John Bryant Second Unit

Don't know about the best deal of the year (6-discs of Buffytastic™ goodness for under $45 is my vote), but it's a damn_good_set.