What's new

Is Rounder staggering the release of the Alison Krauss *New Favorite* SACD? (1 Viewer)

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
O.K., I'm confused. As far as I know, the Alison Krauss + Union Station New Favorite SACD is out. People here have been talking about it for quite awhile. Rounder sells it off its web site for $17.99. I know that Elusive Disc has it, and I presume that Music Direct and Acoustic Sounds do as well. O.K., so it's out, right? Well, in order to save a few bucks on this SACD, I ordered it from circuitcity.com about ten days ago for $13.99 (with free shipping). One section of the e-mail confirmation I received said that this item was back-ordered, while another section said it was a "pre-release" order. I didn't understand how it could be a pre-release order when other mail-order dealers have had it seemingly for months. Well tonight, I found out that Amazon is taking pre-orders for the SACD for $14.99. Here is the link:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...850465-2201414
Note that Amazon is saying that the New Favorite SACD will be available on November 19th. What is going on? Did Rounder stagger its release of this SACD? Perhaps only the specialty dealers have gotten it thus far. I bought the other two Alison Krauss SACDs at a small-chain store in New Jersey several months ago, and they have not yet gotten in the New Favorite SACD. In fact, when I have asked them to order it for me a few times, I was told that it wasn't in their computer system, while the other two SACDs were. I've also seen the first two Krauss SACDs at Tower Records stores and the Virgin Megastore in New York City, but have not seen the New Favorite SACD in these stores. This is odd. The New Favorite SACD has been out for awhile now, but seemingly, not everywhere. Anyone know what is going on here?
One final question. Note that the Amazon link above says the following:
New Favorite (Dsm) [SACD]
Does anyone know what "Dsm" means? My e-mail confirmation from circuitcity.com listed the title the exact same way.

Micahel C

Stunt Coordinator
Keith, this has been extremely common for hi-rez releases, both for SACD and DVD-A. Some stores will get product before the actual release date and others will not receive product till a week or two later. I'm only guessing, but I believe it's due to whether or not the store in question actually places a pre-order for product with the label's distributor and when they actually place the order.

Example, many times a new DVD-A will show up at DVD Planet on it's release date, but will still be "on order with the manufacturer" at DVD Empire and Digital Eyes. The next week, DVD Empire will have a new release that hasn't showed up elsewhere.

If you get a chance, take a look at the Red Trumpet web site. They had the new Zombies SACD on release date at a very good price, but are just now getting a few other titles that have been out for close to a month.

Piers C

Stunt Coordinator
Keith, I picked up "New Fav" about a month ago on Amazon. At that time i believe it was $16.99 or perhaps less. I believe that Amazon is also stating 11/19 as the release date for the "Live" SACD so that may be a day for Rounder SACD releases.

Michael_T

Second Unit
I believe that Amazon is also stating 11/19 as the release date for the "Live" SACD so that may be a day for Rounder SACD releases.
I just called Rounder on the "Live" SACD - and they indicated that it definitely is not due out until early next year, most likely within the first 3 months of 2003. That would indicate that Amazon, obviously, has the wrong date for the SACD.

As far as the release date on "New Favorite" - that is a mystery - since I have had my copy for months now. It might be possible that Rounder couldn't press enough copies to allow for wide distribution (Stones SACDs taking up pressing plant time, etc.) until recently - so they may have set-up wider distribution when pressing capacity was there to satisfy their needs.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Michael,

I was wondering if a staggered release of the New Favorite was forced by the capacity issues caused by the pressing of all those Stones hybrids. That could be it.

Dan,

I have thought about going through Rounder, but the truth is, I have plenty of new music to keep me occupied for awhile. Also, I got a great price on the SACD from circuitcity.com so I am going to give them a little longer.

I appreciate the feedback from everyone. By the way, does anyone know what "Dsm" means?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks