Is Roger Ebert ill?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Dick, Feb 25, 2004.

1. Dick

Dick Producer
    Supporter

Rick
    I have heard rumors that critic Ebert is battling cancer, and that he is gaunt and suffering. Any truth to this? He continues to post reviews on his site.

2. Paul McElligott

Paul McElligott Cinematographer

Paul McElligott
    I did notice that his voice seemed thin and slightly slurred on the last show they did.

3. MickeS

MickeS Producer

He mentioned this on the show a while ago. He has received treatment for some form of cancer in the mouth/throat area for about 2 years or so now. Apparently it's under control, but not going away (or something like that).

4. Jon_Are

Jon_Are Cinematographer

He has lost quite a bit of weight - he wrote a letter recently that was published in Newsweek, in which he mentioned that he has been on the South Beach diet for some time. The weight loss likely contributed to speculation that he is illin'.

Jon

5. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino Lead Actor

Joseph DeMartino
    I caught the tail-end of an appearance he made on one of the cable news channels last night (discussing The Passion of the Christ) and thought he looked thin and drawn and that he sounded odd. I hadn't seen him on television since shortly after Roeper succeeded Gene Siskel because I'm never around when their show airs, so his appearance came as quite a shock. My first thought was that he was ill, and I'm sorry to see this confirmed. I don't always agree with him, but I do respect him.

Regards,

Joe

6. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

watching just the most recent episode, i also thought the same thing. it appeared that he had some sort of lisp - i think even his face was "uneven" (i think one side of his jaw seemed lower) ... but not sure.

i hope he hangs tough - he's one of my favorite reviewers.

best luck with whatever is going on with him. [​IMG]

7. Peter Kline

Peter Kline Cinematographer

He has talked about his illness the past few months in interviews. He has been battling cancer for many years but eventually the battle is lost I'm afraid. I wish him well.

8. DanaA

DanaA Screenwriter

I commented that his voice seemed frail on the show this past weekend. I really hope not. He's a very class guy.

9. Andrew_Sch

Andrew_Sch Cinematographer

I'm really pulling for him. He's a great critic and a tireless advocate for everything that the HTF stands for in terms of respecting film like the art form that it is.

10. Erik.Ha

Erik.Ha Supporting Actor

Yes... He has been ill. I think I read that the cancer treatment resulted in him getting a case of partial face paralysis. (Aka "Bell's Palsy")

11. Jason_Els

Jason_Els Screenwriter

I truly hope this isn't the case. He's an invaluable film reviewer. I don't know of anyone else approaching his caliber. Who could possibly replace him? He and Gene Siskel made movie reviewing a national pastime. His review of The Passion of the Christ was fantastic. The man loves movies like few people do and has the extraordinary gift to write so well as to share that enthusiasm with millions of people all over the world.

Hang in there Roger!

P.S.- Given that it is Roger Ebert, shouldn't this be in the Movies section? The man is as much part of the cinema as anyone on screen.

12. Craig S

Craig S Producer
    Supporter

Craig Seanor
    This was first noticeable after his treatment last spring. There's an older thread in which this was discussed.

I watch "Ebert & Roeper" every week. He didn't look unusually thin to me this past week, but if you haven't seen the show in over a year his appearence might be alarming. He has lost weight, but I've read (like Jon said) that it's been intentional, and not due to cancer.

I will say his voice had an unusual timbre this past week. Don't know if this means anything or not. After last year's treatment he said in an interview that everything was under control and his doctors said he was going to be fine. I haven't read anything recently about it.

Based on his recent output it doesn't seem he's slowed down at all. He's still pumping out reviews, he attended Sundance, and his Overlooked Film Fest is all programmed and ready to go in April. Hopefully he'll be with us for many years to come.

13. Jon.M

Jon.M Stunt Coordinator

He usually broadcasts from the Academy Awards for one of the local Chicago television stations (WLS-TV, the ABC affiliate.) We'll see how he looks Sunday night.

14. Jon_Are

Jon_Are Cinematographer

When I wrote that Ebert had been on the South Beach diet, I was mistaken; he has been on the Pritikin Program.

Here is an excerpt of his published letter to Newsweek, in reference to their cover story on low-carb dieting (2/12/04):

"After hearing lecturers deliver this gospel during 10 years of annual visits to the Pritikin Longevity Center, in December 2002 I finally decided to sincerely try it. In the last year I lost 67 pounds on Pritikin. Nathan Pritikin and those who carry on his work are the true heroes of modern nutritional theory." -Roger Ebert, Film critic, Chicago Sun-Times, Chicago, Ill.

Jon

15. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul