Is Robocop Criterion Collection Closed Captioned?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brian Harnish, Aug 25, 2001.

1. Brian Harnish

Brian Harnish Screenwriter

I was dismayed when I put in Robocop: Criterion Collection and found there were no subtitles! Okay. No big deal -- just use the closed captions. Then I discover that the closed captions aren't displaying. I checked Amazon before buying this thing and they STATE: CLOSED CAPTIONED!!
    So...IS it closed captioned or not? It's a criterion release, and I expect all criterion releases to be closed captioned and subtitled (since it is released by Criterion). Is that too much to ask?
    ------------------
    - Brian
    My DVD Collection
    Want Sliders on DVD? Then please SIGN the petition!

2. Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter Producer

sorry, as it was an early Criterion release and a port of the LD... there are no captions or subs.
    Excellent Disc though [​IMG]
    Edit: also, Silence of the Lambs Criterion also has no subs or CC... simply put, I think that the content just didn't exist at the time and these discs were some of Criterion's first forays into DVD.
    ------------------
    Robert Lutter

My DVD Collection
    The DVD Insider Software Reviewer (Coming Soon!)

[Edited last by RobLutter on August 25, 2001 at 10:43 PM]

3. Brian Harnish

Brian Harnish Screenwriter

WHY does amazon.com SAY the disc (YES...the same criterion one I'm talking about) is closed-captioned then? It's generally very difficult for me to understand some films/TV shows unless they're closed-captioned since I'm hearing impaired. [​IMG]
    Meh...that's not gonna stop me from watching it, though. It's still an excellent DVD!
    ------------------
    - Brian
    My DVD Collection
    Want Sliders on DVD? Then please SIGN the petition!
    [Edited last by Brian Harnish on August 26, 2001 at 01:41 AM]

4. Paul Brookfield

Paul Brookfield Auditioning

Just checked. There is no close captions or subtitles.