What's new

Is Reserved Seating Killing Ticket Sales? (1 Viewer)

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Those of you who enjoy waiting in line and saving money should sign up for those free sneak preview services (like GoFoBo). They were briefly great, but now they overbook so heavily that you have to arrive 60-90 minutes early just to get in! I haven't even bothered trying in over a year.

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
Well we survived. :)

We had prime seats and everyone else picked similar. Had people sitting next to each of us, but one younger group to our right moved 2-3 seats over to allow more personal space since the theater wasn't sold out.

Good part is the Alamo doesn't tolerate talkers, phone, ANYTHING and they proudly announce it on the pre-movie announcements. So everyone was quiet as a church mouse during the show. :)

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Same here. The showings I attended for The Force Awakens, Rogue One, and Doctor Strange were all sold out. The theater was packed.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Those of you that is are using reserved seating - have you ever been to a showing that was roughly full?
Yes. I've been to showings ranging from empty to full with reserved seating theaters. I've also been to quote-alongs, sing-alongs, and anniversary showings. But that's the local Alamo.

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
Yes. I've been to showings ranging from empty to full with reserved seating theaters. I've also been to quote-alongs, sing-alongs, and anniversary showings. But that's the local Alamo.

We were at the KC Alamo (October and this past weekend) and my 8 year was SO wanting to go to the Elf quote-along show. Me, I want to go to the Caddyshack one. :)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
They do a pretty good job with the special showings. I've still got my "Big Trouble in Little China" commemorative pin here from that showing. :)

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
One item (sold there) I couldn't figure out was the Gremlins "Tiki" mugs? I don't recall Tiki's being part of the Gremlins world? Then again I haven't seen the movie in ages.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
One thing I don't like is the "convenience fee" some (all?) theaters add when you buy tickets online.

To avoid it, I just stop by the theater and order the tickets in person for whatever show it is I want to see. I'm usually driving right by numerous theaters in town, so making a pitstop isn't a big deal for me.
This annoys me as well and, for those few times per decade I pay for a film myself, I don't pre-order for just that reason. Courtesy of my son, I saw Rogue One over the Christmas break. We planned a 4pm showing, got there ~15 minutes early (the day after Christmas - we didn't take into account that was the official holiday for most) to find a sold-out showing. We decide on the 4:30 show, but rather than just wait in line to purchase tickets (5 people ahead of us) he stepped aside to purchase them from the kiosk, paying that surcharge for the "privilege." OK... his money... but I'd have just waited.

So... reserved vs. general admission. The theater here offers only general admission - I don't think there's one within driving distance that offers reserved. So... by the time we got concessions (~15 min) the theater was almost full. This was a full 30 minutes before the *commercials* start. We sat on the "front" row (not the absolute front but the front row of the stadium seating). Had it been reserved seating I'd have suggested we wait or try for better seats in a later showing, but having no choice we took what was available. Surprisingly the seats weren't *that* bad. The biggest issue was not being able to take in the entire screen without having to turn your head a bit for some stuff. Not a deal breaker and *far* superior to those "front row" floor seats (sat there *once* - never again).

Overall, if it were reserved and I couldn't get my preferred seats I'd just wait or not bother. So, yeah, it *could* hurt ticket sales. But I *do* like the idea as you don't have to arrive early hoping for a "good" seat and then just sit killing time waiting for a feature to start. If I *did* get a reserved seat next to some jerk I'd treat it just like any other visit and complain to management.

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
We had reserved seats (leather recliners) for 'Hidden Figures' today, in probably the most high-end theater we have here in San Diego. The ticket vouchers were free but we spent $64 on lunch in the theater restaurant plus snacks for the film. The crispy shrimp tacos were FABULOUS and I enjoyed the movie just as much.

Mark

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Mmmm.... crispy shrimp tacos...

168fc228b82500f528b4dbf6209a4ff8.jpg

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
Mmmm.... crispy shrimp tacos...

I happened to take a photo of two of them (after eating the third one first). They were FABULOUS (I think I said that already).

i-pRzvHGF.jpg

Those can be ordered for service IN the theater during the movie. My wife and I believe in helping to reduce the number of service calls during the movie so we ate our lunch in the theater's upscale restaurant before the movie started.

Mark

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks