Is RealOne worth the upgrade?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Scott Leopold, Aug 2, 2002.

1. Scott Leopold

Scott Leopold Supporting Actor

Up until a few days ago, I was using Real Jukebox to play music on my PC. Ever since I got over 3000 tracks, though, it's been messing up regularly. I'm up to over 3600 tracks, and it doesn't seem able to handle that many. I switched back to my RIO Audio Manager, and that also seems unable to manage that many tracks, plus a lot of my tracks (I'd say 50+%) aren't compatible. Every time I laud Real Jukebox, it recommends me switching to RealOne. Does anyone know if it's reliable? A buddy of mine downloaded the first version available, and it locked up his PC every time he tried to play it. If you know of something better and just as free, let me know.

2. Leila Dougan

Leila Dougan Screenwriter

I don't like RealOne so I don't suggest upgrading. If you get a lot of streaming media you may find some sites not being compatible with the version you currently have. If you do upgrade, make sure you pay attention to every option so you do not inadvertantly cause something you don't want (file association, for example).

3. MickeS

MickeS Producer

Personally, I still think WinAmp is the best and easiest to use music player program.

/Mike

4. Randy Tennison

Randy Tennison Screenwriter

Randy
    Another vote for Winamp. We use it at the improv comedy club I work at to play all the music for the show (with a custom built database interface).

5. Rich Romero

Rich Romero Supporting Actor

Download Musicmatch Jukebox, the easiest way to organize and play mp3s. RealOne isn't that good at all.

6. Dave E H

Dave E H Supporting Actor

I prefer musicmatch. Used be a huge winamp fan - and just decided to switch to something better. I use winamp occassionally, but just keep going back to MusicMatch.

7. Don Black

Don Black Screenwriter

I'll vouch for WinAmp as well. A Real Media product will never be installed on my HD. They are reknown for their invasive spying of RealPlayer customers.

8. Scott Leopold

Does musicmatch play RealMedia files? I've got a few old RealMedia files. Also, does it have a built in burner?

9. Scott Leopold

Actually, I decided to just download it. So far it seems great. Much easier to use than RealJukebox, and very reliable so far.

10. Kevin Potts

Kevin Potts Second Unit

Hey Randy,

Would that happen to be Stanfords in Westport?

11. Ken Garrison

Ken Garrison Supporting Actor

I prefer having Real Player installed and NOT Real One. Real One pops up all these ads and shit. SO, Real One = SPYWARE! Just keep a simple Real Player on your machine to play Real video and audio files on your system, and use Winamp for all your MP3s and stuff.