Is RAM compatible w/ every computer?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Greg*go, Sep 18, 2002.

1. Greg*go

Greg*go Supporting Actor

Would the RAM out of a new Sony be compatible with a new Compaq computer? I have 2 computers in the house, and am considering swapping some of the RAM around since I use one computer more often then the other. I imagine everything would work fine, but before I get my fingers dirty (slighty dusty) and pull out the 2 computers from their desks, I'd like to double check. Thanks.

2. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
    No, not necessarily.

RAM comes in many types and flavors. There are different RAM technologies and different chip types for each of the technologies.

You need to check the specs for each computer and find out what sort of memory chip they take. If they are the same, then you should be able to swap them. Otherwise, you're out of luck.

Crucial.com is a good place both to order RAM but also to find out the specs of the chip your computer requires.

3. Chris Tsutsui

Chris Tsutsui Screenwriter

Ram is universally compatable as long as it's the right type. By type I mean DDR, RAMBUS, DIMM/SIMM etc..

PC133 "will" work with motherboards that use PC100. DDR ram will not work with a motherboard that only accepts PC133 or PC100.

No matter the brand or chip, as long as it's the right type it should work. Crucial will work like Kingston, Micron, Mushkin, Generic, Etc..

The main differences in choosing the right ram are speed and overclocking capabilities. Sometimes stability or life can be better with soem of the better types of ram. For instance, I'm using a computer that's overclocked by 40% (Bus from 100mhz to 140mhz), as soon as I throw in a stick of "generic" ram my system crashes. Put the same "generic" ram in another computer and it works fine.

4. Greg*go

Greg*go Supporting Actor

Thanks for the heads up with Crucial.com. It looks like they are not compatible, as the Compaq is 168-pin DIMM, and the Sony is 184-pin DIMM. On another note, does crucial.com have good prices? For the Compaq I see 128MB for $25 and 256MB for $42. And for the sony they have 512MB for $127. If thats 512MB on one chip, that's unbelievable. I guess the time when standard computers will have 1024MB is approaching.

5. Chad Ellinger

Chad Ellinger Second Unit

Crucial has outstanding prices, and their RAM is top-quality to boot. Highly recommended [​IMG]

6. Lee L

Lee L Supporting Actor

If you do some shopping around the internet, you can beat Crucial but usually not by more than a few percent and you know that Crucial is a good, solid company.

7. Kevin P

Kevin P Screenwriter

Isn't Crucial owned by Micron or something like that? I thought I saw that when I bought some Crucial memory a few months ago. BTW, it works perfectly in my Micron PC! [​IMG]
    KJP

8. Steve_Ch

Steve_Ch Supporting Actor

Crucial is the "end user" front for Micron. They are pretty good, but they are no longer cheap, and by that, I don't mean they cost a net of more than $5-$10, but sometimes by $30 for a $140 part.

My theory is this: when Crucial started a few years back, they were the "off brand" and prices were really good. Now that just about everywhere you go (check yourself, go to any PC forums) people are recommending them left and right (as I understand it, they also provide commission if you link to their page and somebody brought ram through your link), they are no longer the bargain that they used to be. It's still a very good place if you don't want to shop around, I have Crucial RAM on laptops and desktops that I brought at least 3 years ago, they never had any problems.