Is pushing a BFD to clip OK sometimes?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Dan_M, Jul 24, 2004.

1. Dan_M

Dan_M Agent

I built my own 142l sub and have a pretty nice room curve dialed in. Ever since adding the BFD I noticed my sub tends to bottom out more than before. I assume this is because I tamed a +12db hump from 50-60hz, so when calibrated with my mains the sub is producing more sub 50hz material than before. The LFE line level is setup so I only get very brief glimpses of the red led on the BFD when playing bass heavy material like U571 and Fight Club (Psycho Boy and Operation Latte).

I was wondering that since the BFD soft clips I could raise the line level so that instead of the driver bottoming out the BFD clips and the driver gets no signal.

2. Dan_M

Dan_M Agent

After dorking around with LFE levels more I figured out that much of what I was hearing was actually the BFD clipping already. I lowered the line levels and turned up the amp a bit and things cleaned up nicely.

Are there any disadvantages in running a lower signal to the BFD? I read that this may cause it to not process the signal properly on lower volume bass.

3. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Sure, it’s not a good idea to feed the BFD a low-level signal. But in your situation, where it’s clipping, it’s no problem to just turn it down a little.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt