Is Pronto still the best palm pilot remote?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Tim Kline, Sep 8, 2001.

1. Tim Kline

Tim Kline Stunt Coordinator

I'm planning to get an ultimate remote in a month or so. I have the Radio Shack 6 in 1 remote that a lot of folks recomended, and it works nice but it's not quite what I'm looking for. I think a pronto type remote is what I really want.
    So, there's the Pronto, Sony has one, Denon makes one too, and on Yamaha's website I saw one there too.. guess there's a lot to choose from but I wanna make sure I get the right thing.
    I want to be able to have macros where I press a "dvd" button and it will switch the tv to component and switch the receiver, turn on the dvd player.. I wanna press "cable" and have it switch everything too.. and in 6 months when I buy my new TV, I want a remote that I can program for that and upgrade all my macros to work with, all quick and easy. So does a remote like this exist? I definately want the "palm pilot" kind.. are there any others I should look into besides those 4 I've seen already? Any links if so?
    ------------------
    Tim Kline
    HT Newbie Extraordinaire!
    [email protected]
    www.timkline.com
    My DVD List
    My Home Theatre

2. James Nguyen

James Nguyen Second Unit

By Palm Pilot type I'm assuming you mean a touchscreen remote that you can customize the look and fell to suit your needs and to operate your various macros to perform a sequence of several commands.
    You didn't specify a price range...but here goes, I'll highlight the more popular devices (based on discussion levels in these forums).
    Sony has a couple of simpler devices, the RM-AV2x00 series. Best I know, there's only two of em right now, and the newer 2100 was a replacement for the old 2000. Large touchscreen, numerous hard buttons. The drawback for many is the lack of the ability to really customize the touchscreen layout. Also, you can only store a limited amount of macros, and each are assigned to builtin macro buttons, M1, M2, etc. if I remember correctly from my friend's. The big plus though is that they're dirt cheap (about 75 to 100 street) comapred to the others out there.
    The Pronto is by far the most common you'll find in this forum and it's an extremely popular remote for the levels of customization that it allows. The device hooks up to your PC and you use software that allows you to design your touchscreen menus and to build all your macros.
    Prontos come in a number of variants:
    The original TSU1000, the TSU2000 that replaced it (more memory and has a builtin database of IR commands for hundreds if not thousands of devices). Marantz and Yamaha also have their own rebadged versions of the Pronto as well. Can't remember if they're based off the 1000 or 2000. Prontos also have a color version now that offers the same general design, with the addition of a new color screen and a couple more hard buttons.
    Pluses for the pronto would be extreme customization. People spend hours perfecting their layouts. It gets pretty addicting at times. The sheer customization makes a well designed menu system useable for all members of the family to operate the home theater, even the wee little ones. Minuses would be its cost (200 to 1000 for the ProntoPro color model) and its relative lack of hard buttons. If you end up deciding you need the tactile response that a hard button offers, than a pronto with its nearly purely touchscreen interface may not be a good match. I strongly suggest trying a Pronto before buying it, people have different preferences.
    There's also the TheaterTouch T2. I honestly don't know a whole lot about it, though I've seen more than a few passing mentions of it. It seems to be somewhere in between the Sony and the Prontos in terms of screen size and number of hardbuttons. I do know that it also allows you to customize the layout of the touchscren menus via software you run on the PC.
    Finally, there's the line from Universal Remote Control (they make those lines of All for one remotes). I can't tell you too much about them unfortunately.
    Check out http://www.remotecentral.com
    I'm personally a very happy Pronto TSU2000 owner, but looking forward to the new babies from Marantz (http://www.remotecentral.com/wn010904.htm
    [Edited last by James Nguyen on September 09, 2001 at 03:03 AM]

3. Tim Kline

Tim Kline Stunt Coordinator

4. JasonKrol

JasonKrol Supporting Actor

i was almost 100% positive that the b&W 2000 pronto was gonna be my xmas present, until I stumbled across the 6000 prontoPro color. alls I can say is wow! Im totally getting the color one instead of the b&w. I know its stupid to basically pay twice as much for something just because its in color..but all around the 6000 ppro just looks better.
    faster page loads, more hard buttons, obviously better interface.
    ------------------
    - Jason
    My DVD Collection | My Home Theater
    "what ya got here is two people dragging a third..."

5. SpenceJT

SpenceJT Second Unit

Jeff Spencer
    I can echo what JasonKrol stated. And I'd like to tell you JasonKrol, you are going to love it (once Philips works a couple of the bugs out of it)!
    I've worked my way up from the very first Pronto, later to the Pronto 2000, and most recently, the TSU6000 or ProntoPro.
    I had no intention of paying as much as I did, and located it for sale on eBay for around $795 (still too high). Any way, I "accidentally" (my wife would kill me if she found out) purchased it (who knew that the "Buy it Now" function had no final "confirm to purchase" button). At first I was thinking that I'd turn around and re-list it for sale on eBay. Once I took it out of the box, I had a complete reversal!
    The display of the ProntoPro is so much easier to read, and the page load is twice as fast as any earlier Pronto! I particularly like the "lift sensor" that activates the remote when lifting it off of the table.
    The only downside (aside from the stratospheric price) is the limited availability of shared CCF files, and color icons. The ProntoPro is loaded with a small sampling of icons, but none are very eye catching. I found myself either creating new icons, or colorizing some preexisting buttons from the available galleries. I went as far as to download and re-size all of the color channel logos available on Dish Network. I've categorized them, and zipped them.
    Most of the eleven color CCF files currently available at www.remotecentral.com seem to use color, for the sake of using color. In my opinion, they all seem a bit over-done. My CCF will contain color, but more so for the purpose of readability and ease of function identification.
    So far, I've gotten my CCF file 80% completed, and hope to submit it to www.remotecentral.com when I'm finished. Feel free to e-mail me should you want either the channel logos, or my CCF file.
    Spence
    ------------------
    SpenceJT
    www.spenceplace.com
    "...now what's all this crud about no movie tonight!"
    - Thank you Mr. Lemmon

6. GregoriusM

GregoriusM Second Unit

Check out this thread on RemoteCentral concerning the new Marantz touchscreen remotes with the 4 - way thumbpad/joystick. Available in colour and b/w models.
    ... Greg
    ------------------
    .... "just me up on my pony on my boat".