Is progressive scan worth $50?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jonathan Lofgren, Aug 8, 2001.

1. Jonathan Lofgren

Jonathan Lofgren Stunt Coordinator

Hi,
    I'm new to home theater and all I have is a TV. My first purchase is going to be a DVD player(and then receiver and speakers, etc). Here's my question. How much better is progressive scan going to be. I have a tight budget and I can either get a Sony DVP-NS300 or a Panasonic RV-31 for right around $160. The cheapest I've seen the Panasonic RP-56 is a little more than $200. Is the addition of progressive scan worth the money? Should I save it and buy some good cables? Any and all help is appreciated.

2. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

There's a lot of factors to consider, and you haven't mentioned the TV in your setup.
    1. Does your TV accept and display a progressive signals?
    2. If not, are you planning on buying a progressive capable set?
    3. If yes, is the line doubler on the progressive set of high quality?
    If the answer to 1 is no and 2 is no, then buy a regular DVD player.
    If the answer to 1 is no and 2 is yes, I would consider spending the extra cash for a progressive player.
    If the answer to 1 is yes and 3 is no, I would consider getting a progressive player
    If the answer to 1 is yes and 3 is yes, you can probably get buy with an interlaced player as long as it has component video outputs.
    YMMV
    ------------------
    My dealer of choice (especially if you live in So-Cal, I highly recommend them): www.yawaonline.com

Click here for their www.audiosurvey.com reviews

3. Mike I

Mike I Supporting Actor

If you have an HD ready set than progressive is definatly worth the money..IF you do not have an HD ready set than you would get no benifit from a progressive scan player
    ------------------

4. Jonathan Lofgren

Jonathan Lofgren Stunt Coordinator

Thank you both. It looks like right now I won't experience very much benefit from progressive scan. One more question. What is it? From what I've managed to figure out from looking around here it's progressive as opposed to interlaced and it doubles the lines on the screen. Is this correct or am I way off. Again, I really don't know anything yet but I'm working on it. Thanks
    ]

5. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

This link will tell you all you need to know about progressive scan.