What's new

Is prog. scan 32-36" TV worth the extra cash? (1 Viewer)

Adam Nixon

Second Unit
I'm on the verge of buying a new direct view set that will be used primarily for games and movies. What I'd like to know, for anyone who has an opinion, is if a progressive scan TV at that size makes a tremendous difference for the extra several hundred I'll have to spend. I know it's an improvement over a standard image, but is a BIG enough improvement to justify the money? All opinions welcome.

Brad_V

Second Unit
A difference? Yes. A tremendous difference? No.

Go look at them and see for yourself and let us know what you get.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Must disagree with Brad here. In many cases the difference is so dramatic as to be acceptable versus unacceptable. Especially at 36 inches. Without line doubling, all I look at are the gaps between the scanning lines.

Mike I

Supporting Actor
Adam..
You will see a dramatic diffence between progressive and NTSC..For the few hundred difference it will be well worth it...

ChrisMatson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
The difference between a non-anamorphic interlaced signal and an anamorphic progressive signal is quite dramatic.

The difference between progressive and non-progressive at 32-36" (both anamorphic) will be more subtle, but noticeable at normal viewing distances.

I could never go back from my 36XBR450 with a progressive DVD player.

chung_sotheby

Supporting Actor
Remember, with a regular wega, there are something like 700 interlaced scan lines, but since the image has to be "wiped" or "scanned" twice onto the screen, the effect is more like 350 scan lines per second. On a HDTV set using progressive scan, there are 480 progressive scan lines, which means that there are 480 lines scanned per second. A somewhat small difference, but nonetheless discernable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Oldtv
Recent bookmarks