Is professional video callibration necessary?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ruben Salinas Stern, Mar 20, 2002.

1. Ruben Salinas Stern

I have owned a Loewe Calida 32" tv for a year. The picture is beautiful although I've never had it callibrated, either professionally or with a disc. Does callibration make the picture significantly better? Does anyone have any experience with Loewe t.v.'s?

2. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

I have never had a Loewe TV, but in every case I'm familiar with, calibrating a display has significantly improved the picture. Professional calibration by an ISF-certified technician produces the best results. Setting the correct color temperature is not something that can be done by eye.

M.

3. Steve Raimand

I have a Toshiba RPTV and had it professionally calibrated by an ISF tech (Mr. Bob) I was astounded by the results, an amazing difference. Anyone that comes by and views the picture quality agree. Sure it's expensive, but I felt it was was more than worth it.

4. Greg_R

Greg_R Screenwriter

Greg
    Calibrating with a disc is certainly worthwhile. Setting the contrast and brightness to correct values will help prolong the life of your set. Many video rental places have these DVDs for rent (Avia or Video Essentials). A professional calibration is usually at least $300. This may not be worthwhile (to you) for a 32" display.

5. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron

6. Glenn Guerra

Glenn Guerra Extra

I tell ya,

I bought a dvd player to go with my 32' screen tv. I was just watching movies asI usually do. Then a bug bit me and I calibrated my tv with a disc. OH MY GOD! night and day difference. i could not believe i spent a whole year watching dvd's on the regular crappy settings I had done. i really missed out!!

do it do it do it!!!

However, i never had it professionally done. I just used a disc. i can't justify spending that much money and have a hard time believing a professional would improve it that much.

but i do recommend the disc.

glenn

7. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron

8. Glenn Guerra

Glenn Guerra Extra

Ron,

I didn't know there were calibrations that cannot be done with the disk? What are they? Do they have to inside the TV or dvd player speakers, and reciever?

Alos, I notice that the settings for dvd play do not work well with regular tv to watch broadcast shows. I have different modes on my tv, but those that don't is it just me or are theses dvd settings not correct for dvd viewing?

Thanx for your reply.

9. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

May I ask -

Is this a one-time shot or do sets need a check-up every year or 2?

What do the techs recommend?

Thx