What's new

is price negotiable at best buy? (1 Viewer)

paul watkins

Stunt Coordinator
i want to buy the toshiba 50" widescreen tv at bb.the price is 2200.what i want to know before i go in there is there a way to get it cheaper.i called and asked about the price and it does not include delivery.any help would be appreciated.

can you talk them down?

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
i beleive all prices are up for negotiation anywere in the states but there is no obligation for any store to opt to negotiate.

Matt Stryker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt
I was always under the impression that BB never negotiated, but a friend of mine recently got them to take $150 off a $1000 HDTV she was buying. Evidently the grumpy customer routine might bear some fruit.

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
You make an offer they don't refuse!

Seriously though. A good approach may be 'is that the best price ou can give me? I'd buy it if it were x dollars less.

Rodon

Second Unit
Need to find an employee with teh Best Buy employee prchase option. They get great deals sometimes. They risk their job if they buy for someone else but around Christmas time thing get a little less black and white when it comes to presents for "family". good luck.

Also employee 4yr service agreements are super cheap - like $7-$15 in most cases vs $80 and up.

Neil White

Supporting Actor
My rule of thumb is I never pay the marked price for goods like we're talking about. Actually, clothes and food is probably all I pay the marked price on.

My approach is as someone says above, "what's your best price?" Have a price in your mind that you're prepared to pay and be ready to walk if it's not met. But to your question - I believe BB would negotiate.

I remember when I made my first real HT purchases when I first moved to the States. It was in Circuit City (pre DIVX before anyone berates me - although I do think it's funny how everyone seems to have dropped the "boycott CC" thing now they have great loss-leaders on DVDs). I digress. I told the sales guy I would be taking up about 2 hours of his time. That peeked his interest. I bought a Sony RPTV, an Integra Receiver and some speakers. I beat down the price on everything. It took a while. Then I asked for interest free on all of it. Now that eats into their commission I believe (someone correct me if I'm wrong). The latter is not a concern at BB BTW. After he agreed on the same as cash I then told him it was a deal if the delivery was free. He kinda went a funny shade of red (anger I think) but he saw me straight. I walked out happy and CC got $4.5K in sales.

The point of all this rambling is just ask, insist even. You have plenty of options if BB won't negotiate. Just don't pay their listed price.

N

Donnie Clark

Agent
I was a manager with Best Buy for six years and policy handed down is that price is not negotiable, but it can be if you talk to the right manager. Employee discount is great, 5% over cost and their cost is low because of bulk purchasing. Warranties are extremely cheap for employees.

I would suggest you try to get a local competitor to negotitate price and get it in writing. Then check with a Best Buy manager and present the scenario that if they can beat the price, you will buy the product now.

It really depends on the individual and their mood.

Good Luck.

Andrew Grall

Supporting Actor
I would suggest you try to get a local competitor to negotitate price and get it in writing. Then check with a Best Buy manager and present the scenario that if they can beat the price, you will buy the product now.
But... Why in the hell would you buy from Best Buy if you already can a decent negotiated price somewhere else? After my experiences with Best Buy and their "customer service," I would never purchase a large ticket item there again...

Jeff D

Supporting Actor
I use to do retail sales and I was surprised at how many times people would ask for a lower price. Like it was my choice?!?! But... more often than not, my manager said sure. Guess she didn't care! Customer always wins in that situation.

I've tried to negotiate on a few occasions, and it usually works well. Can't hurt to ask, right?

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
The only time I've been able to negotatiate successfully with Best Buy is on open box items; apparently they have a much greater latitude on pricing to move those things off the shelf so they can focus on higher margin in-box products. I once got a TV/DVD combo knocked down from $349 to under $200 that way. But good luck negotiating on new product--though that might just be the local BB managers.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks