What's new

Is Polk really considered a "warm" speaker? (1 Viewer)

AndrewErickson

Stunt Coordinator
I have RTI38's RTI28's and a CSI40 center. My receiver is a Harman Kardon AVR325; a receiver that is typically characterized as "warm".

So, does that make my setup extra "warm"? It must be my taste cause I think it sounds great.

Stephen M

Stunt Coordinator
What do vague terms like "warm" mean? My warm is your accurate or vice versa. I have no idea what you expect to hear from posters on this thread since few own your equipment and no one other than you has the same room and ears. Reason for this thread is??:frowning:

Ernest Yee

Supporting Actor
No - i think people already have preconceived notions of what warm or bright is at least on a relative standpoint. Sure your ears might prefer one over the other but relatively speaking, you'd be able to tell one from the other.

I've owned Polk R30s and I thought they were "warm" or laid back.

Ray_C

Stunt Coordinator
If you're happy with how your setup sounds, that means you got it right. I have Klipsch Reference speakers, which are generally considered bright, and beiing a former Polk owner, I heartily agree with that. Using a Denon AVR2803 as a pre/pro (through a Marantz MM9000), things were still to ice-picky. Sold the Denon and got an NAD T163 preamp, and now things are just right for me. Room acoustics play a huge part (almost as much as speaker type selection), but it seems that you are liking what you hear, so all is good.

Joe_on

Stunt Coordinator
For a newbie, what sounds are considered warm, is it softer and what sounds are consired bright, louders and more aggressive?

JohnnyG

Screenwriter
I've had my Infinity IL60's connected to a Panasonic SA-HE200 and an H/K AVR8000. The speakers sound quite bright connnected to the Panny. Not to the point of sounding brittle, but bright and extra detailed. They are a very different animal when connected to the H/K. Much warmer and more silky-smooth.

At the end of the day, one person might prefer the Panny, another the H/K. I prefer the H/K, but as I always tell my customers, "I don't have your ears".

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks