What's new

Is Plasma coming to an end?! Are you buying one? (1 Viewer)

Type A

HW Reviewer
Real Name
Ty
Kevin Collins said:
What are lovers of great blacks going to do?
What lovers? You mean us, the micro-minority enthusiasts? Cause Joe Sixpack could care less about contrast-to-kill-for and great blacks. Nope, Joe only wants big, thin, bright, and cheap!
Kevin Collins said:
What are you going to do?
Less than a week ago I purchased the venerable Panasonic Viera TH-58PZ800U 58" plasma off craigslist. I spent $530 and it has a mere 2600 hours on it! Yeah, Im a believer and Ill be enjoying my awesome plasma for some time to come but I think that makes me the exception and not the rule of the future. When plasma had the advantage in size it had a chance but those days are gone and eventually plasma will be gone with it.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I have a 50" Kuro, bought during Pioneers death pangs. I've been happy with it, but it's not perfect. I can't say for sure I'd buy a plasma again.
In any case, I hope my next display is a 3D projector :)

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
DaveF said:
I have a 50" Kuro, bought during Pioneers death pangs. I've been happy with it, but it's not perfect. I can't say for sure I'd buy a plasma again.
In any case, I hope my next display is a 3D projector :)
Sad part. I know where 50-odd Kuro's are collecting dust cause Pioneer still thinks they are worth platinum.
Put it this way...the WHOLESALE price of the 60" Signature...is still more than twice the OR of this...
http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-VIERA-TC-P65VT50-65-Inch-Plasma/dp/B00752VLSG/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1350688698&sr=1-1&keywords=65vt
And yes, this means I know where a handful(maybe 6 left??) of the 141/151FD are...brand new in the box.

Alfonso_M

Second Unit
I sure hope Plasma still around when I'm ready to replace my old trusted (2002) Hitachi RP-CRT set that still looks great to me and has never broken once.
Any one looked into these new 21x9 Cinema-Wide Vizio models? They are available at Costco, these sets stretch the 16x9 image to fit, it didn't look bad (Battleship Blu-Ray playing) but not a fan of 'stretching' ...

dmiller68

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David Miller
This makes me very sad I love my Panny Plasma and was hoping for a bigger one (80"+)... Well I guess it will be a little while before I upgrade anyway. See what happens.

Jeff Leeds

Stunt Coordinator
I had a hitachi circa 2004 CRT RP that sucked, it died, had 3 repairs, was replaced by Hitachi and the replacement lasted 6 months a died. They gave me a 50" Plasma 1080i around 2006 timeframe, it was nice but was replaced by 55" Toshiba Cinema Series Regaza LCD when the Plasma was moved to another room. While I still really like that 240hz LCD I do see the blacks even on that older Plasma. I have DLP (73" Mits) 2 LCD and 2 Plasma in main viewing rooms and I woudl only buy Plasma at this point. I looked at the big LCD Sharps and they look like CRAP, and the other LEDs are all very cartoon like, I like the comment "makes a movie look like a soap opera".
My buddy just hooked up the Samsung 64" Plasma and that set looks very cool, if they had that in a 75" for a reasonable price I would hook that up instead of a projector for my next project. The new 75" LED Samsung is by far the best LED I have ever seen but it cost 9 grand. Right now bang for the buck and best picture if you are not looking for POP POP POP brightness. My dad loves the look of new LED and still thinks is old 60hz Sony is "still the best picture" blaaa. So there is always a person that looks at those overbright LED and likes that look.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I just bought a Samsung PS60E6500, just hoping they fix the 3D judder error soon, i had placed an order for a Panasonic GT50 but after they said it would take to the 20th of November to deliver i cancelled, not because it's too long, because i feel they didn't go the extra mile for me, anyways, my first plasma, probably my last plasma too.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks