Is Pixar trying to sell more SVSs? ;)

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Carlo Medina, Jul 9, 2003.

1. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

Just wondering...

It started with Toy Story 2, which has that killer bass at the beginning (credits and Buzz's videogame) and has more really low bass when that truck carrying the cement block falls over.

Then in A Bug's Life we get a lot of low bass during the scenes with the grasshoppers flying and stomping, as well as any scenes with the bird.

Monster's Inc. has low bass during the scenes where they try to decontaminate the power plant (in fact that scene where they disintegrate the sock is part of the subwoofers test scenes that is being compiled in other parts of HTF).

And now Finding Nemo. All I could think about while watching this thing in the theater is how many super-low, loud scenes there were, from beginning to end! From jaws snapping shut, to the sub scene, to the whale scene.

Dang! Not just great picture, but sound too!

Anyone else think they're in league with SVS? Sure does make me want to upgrade to get that "theater quality" bass for their titles! [​IMG]

2. BrettB

BrettB Producer

Sounds like maybe Carlo is trying to sell some SVS. [​IMG]

Totally agree that Nemo should sound unbelievable.

3. Carlo Medina

Dang Brett, I'd just be happy OWNING one! Unfortunately the cash flow and the California economy just isn't letting that happen for me...

I guess I'm just kind of surprised that animated kids movies could contain so much bass as to rival (and actually exceed most of) the big-budget-Hollywood-action-movie genre!

4. James Bergeron

James Bergeron Supporting Actor

Even more odd, is most young kids get very SCARED by it!

5. Jon D

Jon D Stunt Coordinator

Just look at the name of the sound designer for all the Pixar films: Gary Rydstrom. This guy has a reputation as the reigning Hollywood bass king. he's the guy behind the first two Jurassic Park movies, Terminator 2, Atlantis, Saving Private Ryan, and Minority Report. All of these movies have extremely aggressive bass, but Rydstrom's crowning achievement has to be The Haunting. With that title on his resume, are you suprised that Finding Nemo has reference bass in it?

6. Lewis Besze

Lewis Besze Producer

7. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    You are correct Carlo even though I thought the bass in A Bug's Life was not heavy but still nicely and subtly done. Personally, I can't wait for the sub and whale scenes in Finding Nemo. I just love when the sub crashes nose-first into the wall.

8. Carlo Medina

Neil, true ABL is a much more subtle use of bass than some of their other films.

I just recently saw Nemo at a nice multiplex that usually doesn't have their subs on overdrive, and during a lot of scenes (not just the sub and whale but a couple of others) I really thought the walls were going to shake apart or somethign!

Ah, Gary Rydstrom is the sound guy for these movies! That does explain a lot... [​IMG]