Is Pioneer still exchanging "rotted" laserdiscs?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by MattHR, Jan 14, 2003.

1. MattHR

MattHR Screenwriter

Pioneer used to exchange "rotted" laserdiscs for replacement back in the day. Once DVD started to take over, they still accepted defective LDs in exchange for DVDs from the Pioneer catalog, since most LDs were discontinued and out-of-stock. Does anyone know if they are still accepting defective LDs in exchange for DVDs? I've been unsuccessful in getting a reply from Pioneer with the few attempts I've made to contact them.

2. Dick

Dick Producer
    Supporter

Rick
    I seriously doubt it, Matt. You're almost certainly stuck with the bad ones.

3. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

I think Pioneer has long ditched any association with the laserdisc. I believe they destroyed their remaining inventory a few years ago after a huge selloff. I think you are stuck with the rotted discs.

I just hope the same thing doesn't happen in the DVD industry a few years from now.

4. Chuck Stephens

Chuck Stephens Stunt Coordinator

About 2 years ago I emailed the sony website trying to see if they would exchange my fifth element laserdisc because it had rotted. I got a pretty quick email from them saying that they were sorry but there was nothing that they could do. I was pretty irritated about it at the time because that disc was only about 3 years old but realized that i was gonna have to bite the bullet and just rebuy it on dvd. Luckily the super bit line was announced shortly after that but i still haven't upgraded due to my current education costs. Anyway, I would say that nobody's gonna exchange rotted discs these days so you just have to accept thatif you wanna stay in the laserdisc game.
    On a side note my Men in Black laserdisc also rotted sround the same time as the fifth element one. Sony really didn't seem to have there stuff together back then when it came to laserdisc manufacture.

5. greg_t

greg_t Screenwriter

I picked up a sealed copy of the fifth element on LD a few months ago and it was rotted. I think a lot of the Sony movies came from the same plant which had poor quality control and manufacturing technics.

6. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

Nope, it was a conspiracy by Sony to get people to switch to DVD! [​IMG]

7. SteveP

SteveP Second Unit

My Criterion CAV SHOW BOAT (1936) has some problems playing side three--sent an e-mail and received a reply that it was out-of print and unavailable--this issue definately deserves a DVD release--a FABULOUS issue!

8. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    LD-S2's and HLD-X9's will play the rotted discs till they get really, extremely rotted. I can play stuff other people would throw away. "...bring out your dead..." I have discs that give nothing but video noise and no sound, other than static on most players, but the X9 plays them, fairly well, within reason. Mildly rotted discs are usually no problem, hardly noticable. A disc is truly rotted when an X9 or S2 can't read it. Never throw rotters away because you might eventually aqquire a player that can read them. Or, you'all can just send me all your cast-offs. [​IMG]

9. greg_t

greg_t Screenwriter

Do you have an X9 Rachael? If so, could you please help me out with a question I've had about the X9? I have been trying to find out some info about the 3D comb filter. I know it is adjustable on the X9, but I would like to find out what it's adjustable range is. For example, does it have an adjustment such as Maximum, standard, off, or is it numbered from like 1 to 5? If you could help me out I would appreciate it. I've searched many sites but have never come across this info yet. Thanks much!