What's new

Is pioneer 811 Radioshack made? (1 Viewer)

Andrew_P

Auditioning
i dont really beleive it but my firend said that i shouldnt buy the pioneer 811 because it is made by radio shack. this friend has been known to lie before so i dont trust him.

Wes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Wes Peterson
No, Radio Shack does not make Pioneers. Radio Shack buys RCA receivers who buys them from Pioneer and then places a RCA label on them. If I'm not mistaken the RCA/Optimus that RatShack sells are of a lower quality that any of the standard Pioneer line. But I may be mistaken about that accusation!

Wes

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
I believe the RCA-branded receivers at Radio Shack are made for RCA/Radio Shack by Pioneer. I remember a couple of years ago reading about Thomson Electronics (parent company of RCA) entering into a pact with Radio Shack, where it would market RCA-branded electronics exclusively instead of their Optimus/Realistic-branded electronics.

As for the quality of the internal parts inside the RCA-branded receivers, who knows?? However, if they are one and the same with Pioneer's, then they are quite a bargain during one of Radio Shack's many sales.

Steve Adams

Second Unit
the pioneer is def not made by radio shack/optimus. i have the 810, and i can tell you that it's one of the best of the money.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
That's a good one. I don't think your friend is lying, I think he's either gullible or ignorant.

Bill Will

Screenwriter
Pioneer has been making Radio Shack receivers for years way before the name was ever changed to RCA & might even have been making them all the way back to the 1950's when Radio Shack first started out before Tandy bought them out & before Pioneer was even selling receivers in this country. If I remember right, Radio Shack was one of the first companies to even import electronics from Japan. Even Sony wasn't in the USA yet. So you can blame Radio Shack for leading to the downfall of our electronics companies:D

Marty Neudel

Stunt Coordinator
>all the way back to the 1950's when Radio Shack first started out<

Actually, Radio Shack first started in the 20's, specializing in ham equipment. In the 50's and 60's they marketed most mid-priced name brand audio (Scott, Fisher, H.K., etc.) equipment. They used a number of Japanese manufacturers to supply their own branded low-priced stuff.

Since they did carry the mid-priced equipment too (and they pushed it),I don't feel that I can blame the shack for the fact that most consumers wanted to save as much as possible and bought the low-priced junk.

Marty

Bill Will

Screenwriter
Marty, you taught me something new today :D I was thinking of the Radio Shack store that was in New Haven, CT (Near Yale) maybe their 2nd or 3rd store? and I never remember that store having any receiver's except Archer or Realistic brands, with Archer being the low price brand. Believe it or not I still have an old stereo 100 watt per channel (when a 100 watts was a 100 watts) Realistic Receiver that still works which I bought in the late 50's :D I think the New Haven store was one of their first stores when they were first expanding out of Boston? It seemed like all of their expansion stores were right near Ivy League college's where the kids could afford spending money on the new "Stereo Reveloution":D Could be wrong on this though?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks