is picture better on hitachi xwx compared to swx?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Art Vance, Jan 30, 2003.

1. Art Vance

Art Vance Extra

I've decided on the Hitachi 65" RPTV. Is there a difference in picture quality between the xwx and swx series?

thanks in advance,
    Art

2. David_Giles

David_Giles Stunt Coordinator

The only difference between the two t.v's is the anti glare screen is better on the XWX.The crt's and everything else inside the t.v are exactly the same.

3. Dave.Reb

Dave.Reb Auditioning

The XWX uses the same same CRTs as the SWX. The XWX has a built-in ATSC tuner and a better anti-reflective screen.
    Given the same source material and a controlled light envioronment, the picture quality should in theory be identical.

4. dpippel

dpippel HTF Premium Member

Doug
    Some people have said that contrast and black levels are slightly improved on the XWX due to the darker tinted anti-glare screen. I compared it side-by-side with the SWX and couldn't discern a major difference. In my opinion the XWX is overpriced. Unless you need an IEEE port and find the card slot for firmware upgrades compelling, you'd be much more flexible getting an SWX with an external STB for HD.

FYI, Hitachi also sells the TWX series of sets, which are SWXs with the anti-glare screen of the XWX. Not many retailers carry this line however and they're difficult to find.