What's new

Is Paramount still releasing Blu Ray's? (1 Viewer)

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I remember reading something about The Score getting released this year...can't remember if it was official though or rumor. I agree Paramount has been pretty thin.

Keith I

FoS
Real Name
Keith
Originally Posted by Dave H

I remember reading something about The Score getting released this year...can't remember if it was official though or rumor. I agree Paramount has been pretty thin.

The Score was "announced" with titles like 48 HRS. and The Firm about a year ago, then canceled. I still have these three titles in my Wish List at Amazon, dated July 31 2009 as the addition date.

I, too, find the low amount of titles being released strange...

ricktech12

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Rick
I would have to say now that the version of 1492: Conquest Of Paradise that user was talking about is the France version that is due for release on Blu-ray 10/6/2010, because there was never any announcement for a USA release.

robbbb1138

Second Unit
Real Name
Robb
Correct me if I'm wrong, but haven't some of the recent catalog announcements been Paramount titles, or are they all being released by someone else (like Apocalypse Now)?

Keith I

FoS
Real Name
Keith
Apocalypse Now is being released by Lionsgate.

I just picked up the Best Buy exclusive of The Score and it is released by Paramount Home Video! Not Lionsgate or DreamWorks or anyone else.

Could they be testing the waters for something? Why a under-the-radar title like The Score? But this means that Paramount Home Video titles are not completely out of the picture (yet).

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by Keith I

Apocalypse Now is being released by Lionsgate.

I just picked up the Best Buy exclusive of The Score and it is released by Paramount Home Video! Not Lionsgate or DreamWorks or anyone else.

Could they be testing the waters for something? Why a under-the-radar title like The Score? But this means that Paramount Home Video titles are not completely out of the picture (yet).

I bought The Score too from Best Buy, but I'm expecting a wide release to other retailers within the near future.

Crawdaddy

robbbb1138

Second Unit
Real Name
Robb
Indiana Jones is controlled by Lucasfilm. I'm pretty sure Chinatown's not on Blu yet. Aside from that, what major releases that we're waiting for would come from Paramount? I could actually go down and look at my DVDs, but I'm not thinking of anything else big that they've done that we don't already have on Blu.

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter
Quote:

Originally Posted by robbbb1138

Indiana Jones is controlled by Lucasfilm. I'm pretty sure Chinatown's not on Blu yet. Aside from that, what major releases that we're waiting for would come from Paramount? I could actually go down and look at my DVDs, but I'm not thinking of anything else big that they've done that we don't already have on Blu.

What about all those John Wayne flicks? Isn't the Duke big enough for you?

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough

All of their Centennial Collection DVDs (Sunset Boulevard, Roman Holiday, Funny Face, Breakfast at Tiffany's, Sabrina, To Catch a Thief - these are the ones I reviewed a year or two ago) were advertised as having been remastered in high definition, so I have to assume they have HD masters available for these classics to be released on Blu-ray eventually. I'd certainly love to see them.

Bradley-E

Screenwriter
I'm wondering about True Grit. Seems like a likely choice for Blu ray with the remake coming.

GMpasqua

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg

Well, There is "The Ten Commandments"

of course:

Once Upon a Time in the West

Breakfast at Tiffany's

Romeo and Juliet

Little Big Man

Roman Holiday

Paint Your Wagon

Rosemary's Baby

Scrooge

Flashdance

Footloose

Barabella

The Odd Couple

to name a few

robbbb1138

Second Unit
Real Name
Robb
Not to seem like an ass, but I generally can't get into anything made before about 1970 (some exceptions in the late 60s), so I probably wouldn't buy any of those.

Aside from those recently released on DVD with a new master, I'd think a lot of those were require the kind of extensive effort that current catalog sales aren't supporting.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin

. . . what major releases that we're waiting for would come from Paramount? I could actually go down and look at my DVDs, but I'm not thinking of anything else big that they've done that we don't already have on Blu.

What do you mean by "big"? I'm sure admirers of Audrey Hepburn and Billy Wilder would give you a fierce argument.

robbbb1138

Second Unit
Real Name
Robb
Originally Posted by Robin9

Quote:

What do you mean by "big"? I'm sure admirers of Audrey Hepburn and Billy Wilder would give you a fierce argument.

I would consider pretty much everything that people have listed in response to my thread as a big release, even if it's not something that I'd plan on buying personally.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
There are quite a few titles Paramount could still tackle. They've got arguable the best Elvis film, King Creole, several Burt Lancaster films, their choice of Jerry Lewis films, quite a few James Stewart, Sophia Lauren, Charton Heston, etc, and most of which shot in Vistavision, which would look excellent in HD.

They've really just scratched the surface, and its doubtful they really intend to go much further, just a small handful per year. Hope I'm wrong, though.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
i will second, Once Upon A Time In The West

Wings ( First Oscar Best Picture)
Titanic

Serpico

Stalag 17

To Catch A Thief

The Greatest Show On Earth

Shane

Tearms Of Enderment

The John Waynes

the question is do they still have the controling intrest of the REPUBLIC PICTURES CATALOG, or is it still in the hands of Lionsgate if so that opens up the possibilities

High Noon

Invasion of the Body Snatchers (Original)

to name a few more

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks