What's new

Is Panasonic VIERA TC-P55ST50 my best bet? (1 Viewer)

lyscer

Auditioning
Real Name
Dale
The wife said that she wanted to get a tv for our basement so I am jumping at the chance to get a bigger tv than our 32" that we have had for a few years. I have been doing some research and have read really good things about Panasonic (especially on these forums). My max budget for a tv is $1,500 and we will mainly be watching TV and Movies on the TV. My question is, do you guys think that this TV will give me the best bang for my buck or should I look at other TV's? I am thinking plasma because it seems like it offers really good colors and the room that the tv is going in only has 1 small window that has the blinds drawn most of the time so it is a nice and dark room. I have also slowly started looking at surround sound systems but figure that those will be a purchase in 4-5 months once I recover from the purchase of the tv ;) Thanks for any help/pointers

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
id search for a VT30..should be about the same money.
Also consider Samsung 8000 series.

Real Name
Bobby Hamilton
lyscer said:
The wife said that she wanted to get a tv for our basement so I am jumping at the chance to get a bigger tv than our 32" that we have had for a few years. I have been doing some research and have read really good things about Panasonic (especially on these forums). My max budget for a tv is $1,500 and we will mainly be watching TV and Movies on the TV. My question is, do you guys think that this TV will give me the best bang for my buck or should I look at other TV's? I am thinking plasma because it seems like it offers really good colors and the room that the tv is going in only has 1 small window that has the blinds drawn most of the time so it is a nice and dark room. I have also slowly started looking at surround sound systems but figure that those will be a purchase in 4-5 months once I recover from the purchase of the tv ;) Thanks for any help/pointers
IMO, you can't go wrong with any Panasonic Plasma. I've got 3 of them, 1 of them is about 6 years old and still looks great.
Also, for 1500...if you do some research, a 60, or 65 inch (if you don't mind a model that's a year or two old) is within your range.
If you don't have to have it now, search online daily. Check out the model numbers from the last few years and just search them. You'll find a killer deal on one and you won't regret it..IMO.
Sidenote: One of my plasma's is in a really lit room with several windows, and I rarely have glare issues. Unless I'm wanting to watch Batman at noon with allt he lights on and windows open, glare is rarely an issue.

lyscer

Auditioning
Real Name
Dale
I have found some good deals on the GT30 but would have to go down in size to like a 50" to get a VT30. Is it worth the loss in screen size for the VT?

Real Name
Bobby Hamilton
lyscer said:
I have found some good deals on the GT30 but would have to go down in size to like a 50" to get a VT30. Is it worth the loss in screen size for the VT?
You need to decide what size you want first. That's always what I've done. I look at an area, and then I think "Yep, I want a 55 inch"
Then that's the route I go. I'd go with the larger if that's what you want. I think you'll be happy with any Panasonic you buy. I've been very happy with their entry level or next step up TV's. I'd love to splurge for their higher end stuff, but I wanted an affordable 65 inch when I bought mine and it looks great.
When I picked up a 42 inch for a spare TV a few months ago I got the TCP42X3 (720p) and it's wonderful. You have to decide what is most important to you and go from there.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hemolens
Recent bookmarks