Is Panasonic going to release new DVD players? S97 long gone and now S77 absent!

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Chris PC, Feb 25, 2006.

1. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

Just wondering if anybody know whether or not Panasonic is planning to release new dvd players any time soon. The S97 is long gone from Canadian shelves and now the S77 doesn't appear on Best Buy and Future Shop any longer. Anybody have any idea?

thanx,

[​IMG]

2. Dave H

Dave H Producer

You can still order S97's......as I'm considering...however, I'd like to know if a new model is coming.

3. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

S97 not available in Canuck land, but I am sure it could be ordered from the US.

4. ChrisAG

ChrisAG Supporting Actor

The S77 is still on Panasonic Canada's web site... I'd buy one since my old DVD player is having trouble playing burned DVDs, but I don't want silver components.

5. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

Hey Chris,

I lost any and all concern for silver vs black components a loooong time ago [​IMG] To see my equipment rack you'd think I was going off the deep end. I have my original black Panny 5 disc CV51 (sitting unconnected), a silver 5 disc F85 (as my main dvd player now), a silver 5 disc F87 and a black Yamaha C750 (the C750 does SACD, has DPL II and is ALL REGION)..oh and my original Sony CDP-C50 5 disc cd player circa 1989..lol! Thats FIVE! 5 disc carousel players.

Buying the F87 was a mistake because it duplicates all the features of the F85, but at the time, I thought the F87 was an ALL REGION player that would play PAL, and I found out it won't play PAL! (although the F87 has DPL II and HDCD, the Yamaha C750 has DPLII, and its not a big deal anyhow, nor is HDCD).

I am selling the F87 and I may also sell the F85 and C750 to grab an OPPO 971H or a Panny S77 or S97. The Oppo does everything, but it is a single disc player and has DVI instead of HDMI. If it was a 5 disc with both DVI and HDMI it would be awesome. Still, once I sell the F87, I may try the Oppo and sell my other ones (the oppo can be made all region too). The S77 and S97 don't appear to be easy to make ALL REGION, and that is a shame.

I just noticed that the S77 is still available at 2001audiovideo for $299. The last S77 I saw at the Future Shop was an open box for $269.

6. ChrisAG

ChrisAG Supporting Actor

Where does the advantage of All Region come in? Do you order DVDs from overseas?

I have one silver component, a JVC VCR, and it sticks out like a sore thumb. I should probably buy a DVD-R and junk the VCR.

7. JeremyErwin

JeremyErwin Producer

]
    dvi can be converted to hdmi with a dongle. The Oppo doesn't do SACD, so you might find yourself keeping one of your carousels

8. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

Yeah, the Yamaha is a do-it-all (almost...no official HDCD) type of workhorse.

ALL REGION is handy because better versions of movies can often be found over seas and just un-usual releases, things that are not even available here etc. I could list movies, but I cannot recall right now. I just got my ALL REGION player so I haven't gotten into other regions yet, but I plan too.