Is OSL worth Sacrificing?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Martin Fontaine, Feb 28, 2002.

1. Martin Fontaine

Martin Fontaine Supporting Actor

Ok, I'm not sure where to post this so I posted it here, it may belong in Movies or HTSoftware (It could go in polls maybe), so mods, move if needed.
    Here goes:
    Around where I live, most people's first language is french (Myself included). But the problem is, a lot of people here believe it is right to watch a movie dubbed in french. Some will go as far as promoting the idea of staying with VHS for the sole reason that all movies are available in french (Yep, try to rent Ghost World or O Brother Where Art Thou in french... These were NEVER dubbed!) So basically, this place is filled with J6Ps that are not only OAR-Uneducated but OSL-Uneducated and believe that this is not important as long as it's the same movie.
    With some relatives and work collegues I've been going about the following debate. If we suppose that I hook up with a girlfriend who speaks only french, should I be willing to accept watching all my movies dubbed in french (Which I refer to as WASTING a movie!) I was involved in a "Relationship" for 3 years with a girl, and what I regretted the most about it was wasting movies (Cases like Cruel Intentions or Mystery Man which I saw by myself properly, then watched with her a few days later in french don't count as wasting but it still annoys me)
    So I made the promise to NEVER, EVER under no consideration watch a movie in french again A lot of people are telling me stuff like "The day you will truly be ready to love someone is the day you will be willing to break that promise.". Or when i say things like "It sickens me to hear about people who understand that OSL is better but are willing to waste movies because their g/fs are too lazy to watch them properly or read subtitles". They tell me stuff like "But you're alone."
    Should I go by my beliefs and stick to OSL no matter what? Any good arguments to counter the J6Ps that claim that it's ok to watch a movie dubbed?
    Why should french always win apart from the way this province thinks about french domination? I mean, can't I use the argument that the movie was MADE in english? Or can't it work the other way around? "If a girl is truly ready to love me, she should be willing to make that sacrifice".
    Should I move out of the province where insisting on OSL is not oppressed?
    Note: I don't mind putting french subs though, and for foreign films which I read anyway, I don't mind reading them in french instead of english.

2. Martin Fontaine

No one has any advice on this?

3. Seth Paxton

Seth Paxton Lead Actor

Isn't the point to find someone that you have something in common with?

People who love movies and want to watch and appreciate them properly should find other people who feel the same.

True love is NOT giving up your interests. I will watch dubbed if no other option is easily available, but it makes me nuts. You should stick to this feeling.

4. MichaelPe

MichaelPe Screenwriter

As a fellow Quebecer whose first language is French, I totally understand you. I once saw a film in theaters dubbed in French, and I hated it. Maybe I would have loved it if I had seen it in its original language.

5. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

Move to a different province[​IMG]

6. Marc Deslauriers

I had the same problem when I met my wife, I am bilingual and she only spoke french. She had no idea what she was missing by listening to movies dubbed in french. So the first few months we knew each other, I watched dubbed movies and absolutely hated it. All the actor's performances and great dialogue was lost in the translation.
    The solution then appeared before my eyes. My wife absolutely loved watching Beverly Hills 90120 and Melrose Place, and the french dubbed versions were a couple of seasons late on the english ones. So I turned on the tv every time Beverly Hills and Melrose was on in english. Her eyes were glued to the screen, even though she had trouble understanding the dialog. She would brag to the other girls at work that she knew what would happen next. Pretty soon, she started asking me what a word was and what an expression meant, and about a year later, she could fully understand what they were saying.
    She now listens to all american movies in english and refuses to watch the dubbed versions anymore. Sometimes, a dubbed movie will be playing on tv and she'll watch it for a few minutes before laughing and asking me how she was able to watch them all those years.
    And now, I'm the happiest guy in the world. I married to her and she let me buy an HDTV set [​IMG]

7. Chris Bardon

Chris Bardon Cinematographer

Well, I'd have to agree that watching a film in ANY sort of dub is wrong. If the movie is in French originally, I can read subtitles (since my French is crappy at best). If it's in Chinese, I can read subtitles (since my Chinese is worse than my french). And if it's in English-well, deal with it. For a province that seems to be so intent on preserving its "culture" through totalitarian language policing, Quebec seems very intent on importing anglo culture, wouldn't you say? As I pointed out in another thread though, at least DVD has the options for multiple languages, and you're not stuck with the VHS problem of finding an english copy amongst the multitide of french ones.

8. Ricardo C

Ricardo C Producer

I refuse to watch dubbed films. If I can't understand the language, I use subtitles. Even if it's a language I can't speak a word of (Japanese, example), I prefer to hear the original actors rather than some mismatched voiceover.

I had to watch a dubbed version of The Phantom Menace in theaters, and although they did a generally good job (the voiceover actors actually match their film counterparts' voices), I didn't feel like I'd truly watched the film until I got it on video, in its original English.

9. Martin Fontaine

Hey, good I had a lot of replies!

10. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

She should get over it. Turn on French subtitles if you have to.
    MY PERSONAL OPINION
    If a person is so intent on keeping their French heritage intact that they don't learn the language of the rest of the CONTINENT, there's this nice country across the sea called FRANCE. Move there [​IMG]

11. Chris Bardon

Chris Bardon Cinematographer

Well, that's funny, since French is an official language in Canada, and I believe that Spanish is an official language in Mexico-correct? So how does that make english the official language of the continent? Oh, right, I forgot. The US is the center of the known universe... sorry for presuming that there is a would outside your borders.

12. Jeff Kleist

Chris,

I honestly forgot about Mexico, it was late. If you knew me, you'd know that I often rag on the entertainment and cultural xenophobia of people in the US. I consider myself very well rounded in that area. But what language is spoken in most of the provinces of Canada? English. If the Quebecois want to sit there and whine and be different, that's their perogrative.

Martin, I'm sure if you find someone, there will be compromises made on both sides. If she truly loves you, she will realize how important your movies are to you, and you will work something out

13. Kenneth Vestergaard

Kenneth Vestergaard Stunt Coordinator

The one and only reason I could see sacrificing OSL for a dub would be acceptable, would be in the case that children who did not speak the language of the original soundtrack were to watch the film. In any other case, anything but OSL is unacceptable (to me).

14. Robert Floto

Robert Floto Supporting Actor

I don't think it's all that important that you find a girlfriend that will watch movies the way you do. If you can...great! If not, there are other areas for you to share.
    My girlfriend can't stand animated films (except Beauty and the Beast), or science fiction films. This was irritating at first, especially since I make my living as an animator...and, of course, my favorite films have always been sci-fi...
    But this is fine. She has no problems with me going to see science fiction films with my friends...or taking my nephews to see animated films. The only thing this difference of opinion has caused is that I get to hang out with my friends and family a lot...which is something that didn't happen all that often with past girlfriends...
    At least I've gotten her into OAR, and she now longs to start a movie collection of her own...so I guess I've corrupted her at least a little bit. [​IMG]
    What I don't understand is...why aren't French subtitles standard on all Canadian releases? This just doesn't make sense to me...

15. Steve O

Steve O Stunt Coordinator

I always watch all movies in the OSL (Original Spoken Language, for those who have been scratching their head at that acronym). I own movies that are spoken in languages other than English (Japanese, German etc.) and have found that there is much lost when watching the same movies dubbed in English. Seeing and hearing the movie through the actors' own voices is extremely important to the overall experience and story -- so I know exactly how you feel.
    Of course, my wife and I are learning French and find the French language tracks on our DVDs to be the best learning tool available!!! I'm very glad that so many of my DVDs have this feature. It's pretty cool to see a movie that you know by heart and watch it in French! There are some movies that we don't even need to use the English subtitles because we already know the whole script.
    [​IMG]

16. Martin Fontaine

17. Jeff Kleist