What's new

Is or was anyone here a cable installer? (1 Viewer)

Jeff*S*C*

Second Unit
I'm looking for a new job and thought a cable installer wouldn't be too bad and now I see a position is open in my area. I was just wondering about the ups and downs of it. Thanks.

Tim Morton

Stunt Coordinator
judging by the guy who came to my house to install my adelphia cable modem, and tried jamming a usb cable into the ethernet port of my computer and could not figure why he had no connection...by the fact that you formulated a complete sentence, you might be over qualified. All kidding aside...go for it...seems like a good job!!!

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
depends, do they want installers for 'in house' or upgrading from the street to the MDU. The latter pays better but generally you pay for all equipment (fiberglass ladders can cost %1000 by themselves) and prepare to climb them a lot.
See how they will pay you.Salary or piecemeal
It's not hard but generally training dont exist or is worthless.
Email me if you have specifics

Shawn Solar

Supporting Actor
To be a good cable installer is hard. to run cable along baseboard and to drill a couple of holes is easy. That is what they want you to do. Mostly because they give you so many jobs in a day and you only get paid piece work. Same goes for disconnects.

I have been an alarm/camera installer for 3yrs now and we also do cable/phone and HT. I have been called countless times to re-run wire to conceal it properly. The job can pay good if your quick enough to install but be prepared to be yelled at a few times as some people get really mad when you staple wire across the baseboard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks