Is only a stereo reciever needed for two speakers?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Seam Dempsy, Jan 28, 2004.

1. Seam Dempsy

Seam Dempsy Stunt Coordinator

Im still in highschool and have a small room. Both make a full quality home thater system a ridiculous thing to have at this time. But I do want better speakers than the 10W on my TV. My question then is: can I get away with only a stereo reciever if I have only two tower speakers?

2. DaveDickey

DaveDickey Stunt Coordinator

Yes. If you want stereo sound, you'll need only two speakers, and a stereo receiver is what you're looking for.

3. Seam Dempsy

Thanks for the assurance![​IMG]

4. Seam Dempsy

A question on stero reicevers.

How do in I play my DVD's through them if they do not have any video input or outputs? Du I connect only the audio section of the cables to the reciever and then the video to the TV? Thanks.

5. Jesse Sharrow

Jesse Sharrow Supporting Actor

Thats exactly what you do since you have no other choice. :-D

6. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    If your TV has enough inputs, then you never need to involve a receiver for video.

Another alternative, though a little more expensive, is an integrated amplifier. You give up some features (tuner, DSP, etc...) but generally get a higher quality amp.

7. zangler

zangler Extra

depending on how much you want to spend, you could get a 5 or 7 channel receiver and then 'grow' into it...you dont have to have all the speakers at once.

8. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Honestly, you'll get better sound out of a stereo receiver compared to a similarly priced multichannel unit. If you can afford a decent multi-channel receiver though, you will have gone a long way towards your next step already. What's the budget?

9. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

Yeah, if this is for music mostly, and TV and movies secondarily, then the sound quality of the two-channel model will almost invariably trounce a home theater receiver costing the same or even a good deal more.

It's just so easy to make a pure analog, two-channel receiver/integrated that truly sings. Conversely, not many "home theater" receivers can play anything that sounds even remotely like music.

If you're looking for under-$500 receivers/integrateds, Art Dudley reviewed a couple of $399 models from NAD and Rotel that might give you an idea what to look/listen for. Those reviews start here: http://www.stereophile.com//amplific...85/index1.html

10. Seam Dempsy

Well I want a full set of JBL speakers but this summer I have to start saving up for my month long excursion to Europe in June 2005. I wont be able to get all the speakers before then and will not be able to start getting them after the intial two for a year. So, I only need a cheap stereo reciever that needs to only last me a year to service the first two speakers I will be getting. Come 2005 I will toss the old reciever and then purchase a high-quality multi-channel to service the entire set I will then begin purchasing.