Is one sub enough?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by AntonS, Jan 7, 2002.

1. AntonS

AntonS Stunt Coordinator

I finally decided to buy a sub. As I listen to music a lot, I'm only looking at musical subs, something like ACI Titan II, Vandersteen, or REL. Probably I'll end up with the ACI.

Question is, as my budget is not allowing me to buy two subs, will one sub be enough for music? I'm pretty sure it will be enough in terms of bass extension (I dont' want it to be loud anyway), but what is going to happen if I set the sub on the side, next to one of the front speakers (Paradigm Studio 100)? Will there be a noticeable imaging skew to the side where the sub is? I understand that low frequencies are not really directional, but still, all this energy coming from one side...

2. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

I had my SV sitting directly to my right, 2 feet behind me, about 6 feet from my ears, and 16 feet from the mains.

The kick drum in ALL of my music came from dead center stage.

Freaky!!

Eventually I wound up putting it in the left front corner beside and behind the left main. It sounds about the same, but it lost a bit pf presence. The response in the corner is almost ruler flat, but honestly it sounded better in that first spot because it had a 1-3 db peak between 38 - 50 Hz, and rolled off steeply below 31. Good for my taste. But I'm sticking with the flat response location for a while.

What I'd like to know is, if the bass player is on the right and it's recorded that way, what impact would it have to the soundstage image to have the sub on the left?

So far I haven't noticed anything strange, but I don't know how most of my stuff was recorded.

I'll use headphones and listen for bass placement, then play it over the mains and see what happens...

3. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

Oh yeah, one should be enough, but the bigger the room gets the more substantial the sub should be, and then you start looking at pairs.

How big is your room?

Mine's about 2700 cubic feet, and one 10" 120 watter was fine for anything below 80 - 85 db, but the SV I have now has the ability to play much louder than I need, and is very clean and well behaved for the space.

Dual subs give you the ability to play louder, and of course gives you the stereo advantage. I've never tried.

4. AntonS

AntonS Stunt Coordinator

It's moderately big living room, don't remember the actual numbers now. But again, I'm not looking into something very loud, just to extend my Studio 100 a little bit (which actually can produce quite a bass on their own). Right now I'm mostly concerned about the music imaging with one sub on the side of the room. About the only place I can put the sub will be on the left side of the left speaker.

5. Jim_Stu

Jim_Stu Stunt Coordinator

6. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

If you keep the sub under 60Hz or so, you won't be able to tell where it is.

- CM

7. Edward M

Edward M Stunt Coordinator

I've just picked up an ACI Titan II LE to mate up with my Paradigm studio 40's. Only one sub...blends very well and seems to be a good match for the 40's. However it's still breaking in. But if I had studio 100's and wasn't satisfied i'd be looking at a bigger, cleaner amp instead.