Is no analog 5.1 out on HD-A2 confirmed for sure?

Rolando

Screenwriter
I have been trying to confirm this. I read a few threads here who seem to indicate it is the case but seems to be based on the fact that the European model will not have any. But has it been confirmed 100% that the north american HD A2 will not have the analog out for 5.1?

Rolando

Screenwriter
That is a darn shame. I had the HD-A1 but believe it or not the load times were just too long. Was hoping the A2 corrected this and stayed in same price range (or less). But losing the analog outs is a deal breaker this early in the game. There are no receivers that can decode the HD audios yet.

darn...

Dave_P.

Supporting Actor
Well, you could go with the XA2 which will have the 5.1 outs. Of course, you'll have to spend the $1000 though.

Rolando

Screenwriter
yup, I thought so. Not worth $1000 for me. Heck in Canada that means closer to $1200... When I can still get HD-A1 for $500 Canadian easily.

Over a grand I might as well be going Blu-Ray. It might be blind faith but I still think Blu-Ray has the potential to be the better format by a larger margin.

I just think HD-DVD is really good NOW. Heck side by side at the same price I might even opt HD-DVD right now, for now. However long term if I could only choose one I would still pick Blu.

RobertDW

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Robert D Wehe

Both my HD-A1 and XA1 after firmware 2.0 take about 45 seconds from power on to start playing a disc so not too bad imo. BTW the players decode DD+ or TrueHD and output as 5.1 PCM so any receiver with analog inputs or HDMI inputs works just fine with the A1 or XA1. For the HD-A2 you will need a receiver with HDMI (any version hdmi) input to get DD+ or TrueHD.

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann

Since the Toshiba's (all) have TureHD decoders, if your receiver has HDMI in, you are in fine shape and the analog out become unnecessary.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Considering the low price point, the excellent build quality, the fantastic image and awesome sound waiting an additional 30 seconds over an SD-DVD player for all this is not a big deal, not at all.

Too bad the A2 lacks the analog outs, it's the only connection I use now, no coax or toslink, the DACs in the player do all the work so my Outlaw 950 just became a big volume control knob. The improvement in sound quality with the analog connection is quite noticeable.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
I second that remark, wholeheartedly!

In fact: if Toshiba would have added a general volume control to the machine (instead of taking the analogs off) it would almost have made a decoder/receiver superfluous!

Cees

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PhishHead00