What's new

Is newer model always better? (1 Viewer)

Yoon Lee

Stunt Coordinator
In this fast changing time, manufactures introduce new model almost every year. So, the question is that do you think this year's model is ALWAYS better than yester year's model? I know newer models supports newer formats and everything, but I'm rather talking about sonic quality. Are they sacrifying anything in order to stay competitive?

Kevin T

Screenwriter
i imagine this question is product dependent as i don't honestly think the newer aragon 8008 mkII amplifier is any better than my older aragon 8008bb amplifier. that being said, my older pioneer dv-c302d dvd player probably isn't as up to snuff as some of their newer offerings, but i'm happy with it and that's all that matters.

kevin t

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Nope. I am a Marantz fan, but I feel the previous generation of integrateds sounded somewhat better than the current generation. I have one from each, and I prefer the musical sound of the older one better. The new one is much better for HT though :D

Dmitry

Supporting Actor
There ususally are more bells and whistles in the new models, but the quality may be degrading rather than improving.

James Q Jenkins

Stunt Coordinator
Good clean preamps and well designed amplifiers are more important than the latest and greatest DSP processors. If the preamps and amps are up to snuff, anything can sound great. Now, things like cinema DSPs that help smooth out a tough room and more advanced bass management functions can have a great effect on the overall presentation.

Jack Kelsey

Agent
"New" models often just incorporate cost-saving modifications - and/or some button or light that may be of marginal use. Of course with HT there may be a new format that has 'some' function like PLII but may not be 'necessary.'

I would venture to say that actual sonic quality can go down if a mfr is looking to meet price points or thinks a non-sonic feature has more marketability for the same cost as sonically better parts, etc.

Caveat emptor(as usual).

Yogi

Screenwriter
Not always. Take the example of 3801 and its successor the 3802. Added bells and whistles tweaked the sound for a 5 W increase/channel and cut corners in order to keep the cost same.
Some people will say that faster DSPs and DACs make for a better product. I'd say better design and higher quality components make a better product. But thats just me. I can't hear a difference between 96 Khz sampling and 192 Khz sampling so what do I know:)
My 2 cents.

mike_decock

Supporting Actor
I think it really depends on the manufacturer. For most of the mass-market, new model every year stuff, it can be really hit or miss. Heck, you can't even be certain that they maintain parts consistency within a model year. I would suspect that most revisions have more to do with features than improving quality. The average consumer looks more at features and that's what those manufacturers have to cater to.

The smaller "audiophile" companies tend to come out with new versions much less frequently. Heck, The Rega Planar 3 was virtually unchanged for a decade (except for the tonearm) until they came out with the Rega P3 2000 which probably won't change for several years. In this case, the "features" are identical, but the quality has improved.

-Mike...

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Not too much new technology coming out for turntables, and certainly no new sound formats on vinyl :D, so that is not exactly the same thing.
I do feel new technology is incorporated into new models, as mentioned, new DSPs and DACs and any other solid state components which are often better. Cost cutting measures are always incorporated to hit a certain market price. A new design or component doesn't always add up to better sound though.

mike_decock

Supporting Actor
Not too much new technology coming out for turntables, and certainly no new sound formats on vinyl , so that is not exactly the same thing.
Certainly agree with you there. However, when it comes to amplifiers, speakers and CD players, the same holds true for those companies. The Rega Jupiter is unchanged for 2 years while an equivalent Sony will have gone through 2 generations.

When it comes to surround processors and receivers, new technologies are coming along pretty quickly. However, this has been going on for a long, long time. I remember all the Dolby surround and Dolby Pro Logic debates from 10 years back. Now you have half a dozen new formats and standards to contend with.

Personally, it sours my opinion of that whole market. If you really want a "high end" surround system, you have to upgrade every six months. That's ridiculous. I will patiently sit on the sidelines until the industry makes up their mind or the consumer cries uncle. If they never stop, I'll just keep enjoying my turntable, virtually unchanged yet continually perfected for almost 100 years.

-Mike...

jeff lam

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeff Lam
From what I have heard from several dealers and service centers of Denon is that their older receivers are much more solid and better built than their newer models. Don't really know about sound quality though.

Ted Kim

Stunt Coordinator
For VCR's and DVD players, build quality is definitely much worse, especially VCR's, as time goes by. More and more features do get packed in though. Build quality doesn't necessarily equate to superior overall performance though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ZeppelinDude93
Recent bookmarks