What's new

Is new Shaolin Soccer DVD in OAR? (1 Viewer)

rob kilbride

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rob Kilbride
Rotten Tomatoes and Amazon.com list the aspect ratio as 1.33:1. I haven't had any luck finding the specs for this title. Can anyone please post what the actual aspect ratio of the DVD is?

PaulaJ

Supporting Actor
DVDPlanet lists Shaolin Soccer as 1:33 too.

However...

The Miramax homepage sends you to video.com to purchase their DVDs, and video.com lists Shaolin Soccer as 1:85.

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
I highly doubt they'd go through the trouble of offering us the original uncut version and the original labguage track, and have it be pan-and-scan.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member

You defiantely wouldn't think so, but remember this is Miramax we are talking about so it wouldn't surprise me if it was just so they could have some way to piss off the fans.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
I'd trust video.com's listing over Rotten tomatoes and Amazon, since video.com is the source (Buena Vista Home Video).

Rolando

Screenwriter
So this is a good version to buy? no need to import really?

The Mouse is really giving us the original uncut version and the original language track?

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
The DVD is in 1.85 anamorphic widescreen, and has both the US edited version, (with Chinese Language if you prefer???) and the original uncut Chinese version, which is about a whole 20 minutes longer.

Cassy_w

Second Unit
But are the subtitles a true translation, or just a port of the dubbed track? I don't want DUBtitles.

Ian_H

Supporting Actor

Oh well I guess I will stick with my HK disc.... The only thing that annoys me about the HK version is the little soccer graphic when there are behind the scenes or cut scenes. The only way to get rid of it is to turn off the subs but then you lose the subtitles too...

Better luck next time Harvy Scissorhands on getting my $$$ maybe someday I can buy a Hong Kong film from you...

--Ian

ChrisBEA

Screenwriter
I just watched the ENglish cut, and now am watching the original.
The original is the only way to go, of course I new this from my HK disk. Gotta support the release of uncut in R1 if we are to expect more.
The subs aren't bad, no change in plotting or anything, from what I remember of the HK disk, plus a better transfer. One difference though, during the dancing in the street, the HK disk has the Thriller music, on the R1 disk the English version has Celebrate, and the original version has some non descript techno.
The US cut is bad, cus a lot of the romantic sub plot and cuts out a lot of comic bits, plus the pacing is just off.

Ian_H

Supporting Actor

This scene is included in all the versions?? On my HK disc it is only accessable via a behind the scenes clip that you have to hit the enter button at a certain time. Are there different versions available in HK? I got mine the day it hit Chinatown.

--Ian

Cassy_w

Second Unit
Dubtitles. :angry: This is just disgusting. I'll stick with my import. Harvey can kiss my boney little white ass.

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
I think there are two sets of English subtitles. True subtitles and dubtitles. I haven't extensively watched it yet, so I'm saying this just from the first 10 minutes. But it does look that way...

ChrisBEA

Screenwriter
The dance was on my Universe release, I don't remember if I had to hit enter or not.... I'll have to check.

It appears that there are 2 sets of subs, dubtitles for the English version and subs for the original version.

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member
I watched this last night, the original version first.

It was fun, but it wasn't that great of a film to begin with but to be honest, the US cut isn't that bad. I thought the pacing in the original version was off in the first hour and the US version tightened it up quite a bit. I didn't even notice a lot of what was cut, other than the opening flashback.

If you like the film, the original version is the only way to go. But I don't believe that the Miramax edit is the crime against cinema as some of the fans kept saying it was.

ChrisBEA

Screenwriter
It is not the best film, but is a very fun film, an entertaining film that probably won't live up to the hype that was built up around it for the past year. I still love it.

I noticed a lot missing, a lot of the subplot romance between Mui and Sing, in the English cut it was rather hollow, the already mentioned opening flshback, better in the original, makes a stronger connection between Golden Leg and Fung, and a lot of extended bits which made the laughs funnier got cut too short in the English cut.

Any studio that buys the rights to a movie, cuts it by so much, dubs it, changes the music, how can this not be a crime against cinema? It isn't really a question of the quality of the movie, but it was not the movie that was submitted for release and had already gotten a release somewhere. There was no reason to cut this film, or any of the Jet Li films they have acquired, which don't even get the original language track, or what happened to Vampire Effect (cut by a half an hour and retitled from it's original Twins Effect) The title change doesn't bnother me, but there was no need for the editing.

Cassy_w

Second Unit
Are you folks sure about the 2nd set of subtitles? Everything I have read online states that there are only dubtitles. :frowning:

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
Well I can't speak Chinese, so I can't tell if the subtitles are true, but there are most definitely two sets of subtitles available by flipping through the subtitle options. When listening to the English dub, one set matches what's said and the other doesn't.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks