Is Netflix the Greatest Thing Ever?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Evan S, Jan 13, 2002.

1. Evan S

Evan S Cinematographer

I'm sorry if I'm the last guy on this bandwagon but I just had to post. $20 a month, you get to see whether the title you are getting is widescreen or not, three movies at a time, a new one gets sent to you as soon as you return your last one, free postage and NO LATE FEES!!!! Are you kidding me? Take it from this guy. I'm the poster child for the $7.41 2 DVD rental only to return the movies two weeks late due to my busy schedule and the fact I refuse to return a movie on time if I haven't watched it yet. I usually spend $20 a month in late fees alone.

I'm sure there are hundreds on this forum who use this service. I cannot believe I didn't hear of it sooner. This is the answer to my prayers! Sorry for the long post, but now I have more money to spend elsewhere!!!!

2. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    NO! THEY WONT SHIP TO CANADA! [​IMG]

3. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

4. Evan S

Evan S Cinematographer

My bad Mike....thanks. Hopefully the administrators can bump this thread.

5. Norm

Norm Cinematographer

Norm
    Not anymore with the way they keep changing the rules in their favor!

6. Jon_Are

Jon_Are Cinematographer

7. Henry W

Henry W Stunt Coordinator

Netflix is not worth it:
    1-movies are sent back and forth using bulk mail rates
    2-once a returned DVD arrives at Netflix, the next one can take two to three days to ship
    3-all shipments are from California
    Try instead www.rentmydvd.com
    1-movies are sent back and forth using first class mail
    2-once a returned DVD arrives, the next one is shipped the same day
    4-shipments both from California and New Jersey.
    Otherwise both are almost identical (rentmydvd does offer a wider range of plans as well as regular rentals and sells both new and used DVDs.)
    Best regards-Henry

8. Rick Radford

Rick Radford Supporting Actor

Henry, I have to disagree that RentmyDVD has a wider range of plans. That was the main reason I dropped RentMyDVD in favor of Netflix. Unless something has changed over the last few months, I found shipping to be similar for both.. maybe a day quicker for RentMyDVD.
    I think RentMyDVD would benefit from a plan between their B and C plans.
    RentMyDVD plans:
    Plan A - $13.95 per month with 2 DVDs out at any one time
    Plan B - $23.95 per month with 4 DVDs out at any one time
    Plan C - $49.95 per month with 10 DVDs out at any one time
    Netflix plans:
    Netflix Service Ultimate (8 out) $39.95.
    Netflix Service Plus (5 out) $29.95.
    Netflix Service Bonus (4 out) $24.95.
    Netflix Service Standard (3 out) $19.95.
    Netflix Service Lite (2 out) $13.95.
    FWIW. [​IMG]

9. Henry W

I've had much better sucess with www.rentmydvd.com especially the shipping. Turn around time is much quicker. Of couse, living in Florida I'm bound to get better mail service from a firm shipping out of New Jersey rather than one in California.
    What really gripes me about Netflix was that a return would arrive, another of my choices would be available, and it would take 24 to 72 hours to ship it out. www.rentmydvd.com always ships the next one the same day within hours of the return's arrival.
    I also like the 10 DVD plan.
    Best regards-Henry

10. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Lead Actor

Netflix is a solid buy, but I stopped using them because it took 'em too damn long to send out my next rentals.

11. Jamie Cole

Jamie Cole Stunt Coordinator

12. Norm

Norm Cinematographer

Norm
    I'm going to try Number Slate. Netflix takes way to long to get to Boca Raton, FL, now that they changed the rules!

13. Rick Radford

Yeah, I have to agree the shipping is slightly better with RMDVD. In fact, I had one instance where a DVD took 3 weeks to get to me from Netflix.

I complained to Netflix and the Post Office about all the shipping problems I had, and after a while, I found the service to greatly improve. I haven't paid much attention lately as DVDs seem to arrive +/- 1 day from what they tell me.

I have no way of knowing when they get the DVDs I send back. But the emails they send me notifying me of receipt and then a new shipment out to me typically occur within hours on the same day.

I'm on the 8/$40 plan and that's as high as I want to go. If RMDVD had something between their B and C plan, I may have stayed with them.

I haven't looked at Number Slate yet. I was favorably impressed with DVDBarn.. especially their feature where you can tell them you've sent one back and they'll ship another out to you without waiting to receive the inbound shipment. However, I thought their selections were limited.

So, by default, I've stayed with Netflix. Just my experience.

14. John Knowles

John Knowles Stunt Coordinator

John
    I have to admit that I am pretty satisfied at Netflix service, aside from them taking away the "I've Mailed It Back" button, but their selection seems to be best of the online rental places and that's important to me.

15. Mark Schmitt

Mark Schmitt Stunt Coordinator

I had been a Netflix customer for quite a while, I think it was 2/00 when I joined. Back then, it was an incredible service, and I recommended it to all my friends. I used to be able to get the big movies right away, after being able to time my returns with their release dates. However, after a while they started to change some of their policies. First, was the "Mailed it back" button. When they got rid of that, it severly cut down the amount of discs you could possibly get in that month. I also had to change my return timing, so I realized I could send a movie back on Thursday to usually get a big release the following Tuesday (the release date). Sometimes, I even got it on Monday. It was still great, but I wish I could have gotten more discs.
    Then, they really screwed it up for me. They used to send double disc sets as one choice in your queue. For some inexplicable reason, they changed this. Now it's movie only disc as one choice and bonus disc as another choice. The whole point of Netflix was no late fees. I loved it, because while I would watch the movie right away, it always took me awhile to get through the extras. Now, I have to burn two queue choices on what used to be one? I'm not going to waste a choice on a bonus features disc when I only have four discs out at once. So now there was no point to it for me.
    What really got me was Lawrence of Arabia. I was looking forward to this and the release date happened to coincide with when they were changing their multidisc policy. It was sitting there on their upcoming releases and it was number one in my queue. I timed my return and it was finally marked to ship. Suddenly, it disappeared. It was taken off the release list and disappeared from my queue. Turns out that with their policy change, they didn't know what to do with it since the movie itself is spread across two discs. They couldn't very well send me half the movie, so they removed it. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    I rented it at a store (and loved it!) and wrote Netflix an angry e-mail which they ignored. Of course, they still have a good quantity of discs and it is convenient, but I ended up quitting the service in October of last year, due to these problems and financial issues.
    The point to this story is that, yes, they're a fine service, but they used to be SO much better.

16. Rick Radford

I should probably point out that since I didn't begin using rental services like Netflix until Sept 2001, I can truthfully say that ignorance is bliss (w/r/t the decline in service that others report).
    [​IMG]

17. Norm

Norm Cinematographer

Norm

18. Michael Johnston

Michael Johnston Stunt Coordinator

My biggest problem was them counting each disk as a separate rental. This wasn't too bad on disks sets like Cast Away where the movie was on one disk and the extras on another. I could get the movie first, and then decide if I wanted to see the extras later.
    BUT, it really pissed me off that I had to take up 2 selections to be able to watch the Godfather Part 2 in one sitting! So..I dumped Netflix and bought the whole set at Costco for approx. 2 months of their fees.
    Michael

19. CRyan

CRyan Screenwriter

WOW. I CANNOT believe that you have to rent the Godfather Part 2 as two discs. What a rip! I used Netflix back when they started with the value packs - before this queue thing. I really enjoyed it then. I dropped them back in '99. Oh well.

C. Ryan

20. Henry W

I really don't understand the big deal if a two disc DVD is categorized as two selections. Usually, what I want is on one disc anyway and the other disc is of no interest to me. In those rare cases where I do have to take out two or three discs to see the whole thing, I really do not have a big problem with the fact that it counts as two or three selections.

Best regards-Henry