1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Is Netflix is winning the content war?

Discussion in 'Streaming and Digital Media' started by Martin Dew, May 30, 2019.

1. Martin Dew

Martin Dew HTF News Editor

Martin Dew
  2. Matt Hough

Matt Hough Director
    Reviewer

Matt Hough
    When I'm just surfing for something to watch, I find myself going to Prime much more than Netflix these days.

MatthewA and RBailey like this.
  3. Bernard McNair

Bernard McNair Second Unit

Bernard McNair
    So many good series on Netflix; we particularly enjoy the noir series from different parts of the world.

Tino likes this.
  4. Tino

Tino Executive Producer
    Supporter

Valentino
    I rarely if ever use Prime as it just doesn’t look as good as Netflix.

As for content it’s not even close for me. Netflix wins by a huge margin.

5. old mole

old mole Agent

George
    I watch Amazon Prime 3 times more than Netflix. Love their originals such as Bosch, Sneaky Pete, The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel.Mozart and many more.

RBailey and Bryan^H like this.
  6. Bryan^H

Bryan^H Lead Actor

Amazon Prime has much more original content that I am interested in. I like The Grand Tour, The man in the High Castle, Bosch, The Tick.
    There are zero Netflix originals that I am interested in.

RBailey likes this.
  7. Bryan^H

Bryan^H Lead Actor

Do you mean 4K content on one service vs. 4K of another?

8. Tino

Tino Executive Producer
    Supporter

Valentino
    Both regular and 4K. iTunes and vudu are superior in all aspects imo.

Sam Posten and Bryan^H like this.
  9. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

Dave
    Netflix and Prime are both great. I still generally watch more on Netflix, but I’m using Prime more lately. I love Netflix original series, but I’m also finding more original stuff on Amazon too. It’s an embarrassment of riches! :)

ChristopherG likes this.
  10. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

Dave
    I can’t figure out this line in the write up:
    The survey also revealed that Hulu has “the best original programming”, up from 4% last year, while 5% of respondents said that Amazon Prime holds that mantle, followed by 2% for each of Showtime and Starz.

I think there a statistic missing. Should it read:
    The survey also revealed that 2% said Hulu has “the best original programming”, up from 4% last year, while 5% of respondents said that Amazon Prime holds that mantle, followed by 2% for each of Showtime and Starz.

11. atcolomb

atcolomb Screenwriter

Angelo
  12. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    I still have major issues getting Prime to play nicely through my AppleTV with my AVR - it always drifts in and out of sync. It is the only app on my AppleTV that this happens with - never have an issue with any other device or service. Which means that I can only use it on my TV with the TV speakers only. Since that’s not how I like to watch movies, I never look there anymore.

Sort of the same thing happening in a lot of industries and a lot of areas - the rich get richer while everyone else has to figure out how to make due with less. And I fear these production groups and crew and talent are stuck in a vicious race to the bottom cycle, because audiences in general believe less and less in paying for the media content they consume and believe this type of content should be free or virtually free.

13. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

Dave
    ^ I’ve watched a several seasons of Amazon Prime shows on my Apple TV and there’s never been AV sync problems.

You’ve got a defective aTV or something’s wonky with your internet or Amazon service.

If you haven’t, you should try a factory reset of the aTV and reinstall the apps, make sure they’re all updated. Your experience isn’t normal. Maybe even try to get a replacement or loaner aTV to see if it’s the device.

Josh Steinberg likes this.
  14. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    It’s happened to me on two APTV boxes in a row, both the older model and now the 4K model. It’s only the Amazon Prime app and it’s not every bit of content on there. It’s unpredictable and inconsistent. The best I can figure is that there is something in the encoding of some of the files from Amazon’s end that isn’t playing nicely with something in my Onkyo receiver. No problems whatsoever when the receiver is off and just passing the signal to my TV’s speakers.

If we lived in a world with only three channels, or one where Amazon produced something exclusively that was “can’t miss” for me, I’d care more about a fix. At this point, with all of the services and all of the content that I already don’t have time for, I just move on to the next thing.

DaveF likes this.
  15. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

I have that same issue with the NHL app on my Apple TV 4K -- the audio drifts out of sync during the telecast of a game. The NHL's streaming service has lots of issues across many platforms, though, so I blame this one on the service and not the hardware platform.

I don't have your sync issues with Amazon Prime, but there is definitely some flakiness with Prime on ATV4K. I could not get all the 4K/UHD episodes of The Boys to play on Prime via the device -- I had to watch the final three episodes via my Roku Ultra.

It's ridiculous needing two different streaming hardware platforms in order to get all content to play properly, but that's where we are at right now in the Wonderful World of Streaming.

Josh Steinberg likes this.
  16. Matt Hough

Matt Hough Director
    Reviewer

Matt Hough
    I haven't had sync problems with the Prime app on the AppleTV 4K, but there is definitely something wonky going on with it. When The Boys premiered on Prime, I tried to watch the first episode. I used the UHD/4K tab for the show (one has to be careful with Prime to choose the right version of the show you want to see if there are multiple variations of it on the service), but it didn't flag the HDR overlay on my OLED. I immediately closed it and went to the Prime app on my OLED. HDR popped right up as the show began. It also popped up on my FireStick 4K when I watched episodes through that device.

I had used the AppleTV 4K to watch the latest seasons of Bosch, The Man in the High Castle, and The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel, so it USED to work, but none of those flagged HDR any more. And Jack Ryan didn't flag Dolby Vision through the ATV4K. Many complaints to Apple and Amazon caused some of the app's functionality to be repaired, but it's still not completely right.

17. David Deeb

David Deeb Supporting Actor

David
    Prime needs to seriously fix that. I watched an excellent movie in HD. Had no idea it was even available in 4K until weeks later.

In fact, there's no easy way to find any of the 4K content on Prime. What's the deal? Do they really not want people to use it? It doesn't auto detect the best version like Netflix does. Poor design.

18. Matt Hough

Matt Hough Director
    Reviewer

Matt Hough
    Very poor design: the worst of the major streamers IMHO.

19. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Director

The two things I find most frustrating about Prime Video:
    • When I need to fast forward or rewind, the time elapsed bar moves forward or backward, but the actual picture doesn't keep up. Unless I've memorized the timestamp I want to go back to, it's a trial and error process. I love the Netflix/Hulu interface, where you flip through screenshots to jump forward or backward.
    • When a TV episode or movie ends, it only gives you 4 seconds to choose to view the credits before automatically jumping to the next thing. Netflix is also pretty bad in this area. Hulu goes too far to the other extreme.
    The one upside to Prime Video not automatically selecting the streaming quality based on the current internet speed is that I don't get the hops between video quality that I sometimes do in Netflix. I hate when I'm watching something and it suddenly drops to SD quality for a few seconds before rebounding. With Prime, it's the selected quality the whole way through.

20. Message #20 of 21 Sep 20, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2019
    Cranston37

Cranston37 Screenwriter