What's new

Is NEIGHBORS out on DVD? (Consolidated Thread) (1 Viewer)

widescreenforever

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
arthurjulius
Just realized today that I can't locate a DVD of the 1981 comedy Neighbors starring John Belushi and Dan Ackroyd..

What is the holdup from Columbia on this?

Does anyone know??

I see there is a Pal version available but I need NTSC region 1.

John Whittle

Stunt Coordinator
Well Sony has a HD Transfer, it's running on HDnet Movies Friday, February 16 at 4:45 PM ET/1:45 PM PT.

Listing states "not available on DVD"

John

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
Sony/Columbia is so weird in their release patterns. They have a handful of things they're happy to release over and over and over, but anything the slightest out of the ordinary seems to terrify them. They're sitting on a bunch of obscure Hammer suspense and horror films, and refuse to do anything at all with them. Why? I dunno.

Patrick Mason

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Patrick
Count me in as one who's been waiting for this for a while.

Very funny movie, and with those names, one would think it would be a marketable title. Here's to hoping that HD transfer will be put to good use sooner rather than later (not holding my breath though.)

chas speed

Second Unit
Real Name
jeff
One thing they should do is offer a option for the original Tom Scott music score. When the movie tested badly they replaced the music score at the last minute with a very loud and horrible score. It really hurt the film and it would be nice to hear the movie as it was supposed to be heard. I'm not holding my breath waiting for them to come to their senses on that though.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
I love the score that was used. It's like a Warner Brothers cartoon. I dig that. In fact, I wouldn't buy a DVD without the score that was used. Although, to have both available on the DVD would be.....too much to ask, I'm sure. :frowning:

widescreenforever

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
arthurjulius
,,, well there you go,, It is Tom Scott's music score that must be holding up the movie release on DVD,, or otherwise Tom must give his permission for WB to use the horrible score in its place.

Which of the two scores is available on the Region 2 Pal release ???

chas speed

Second Unit
Real Name
jeff
Tom Scott's score has never been heard by anybody, except test audiences. It is not unusual for studios to remove music scores of movies that test badly because it is the cheapest thing to replace. Tom Scott's score is not holding up the dvd release, because the odds are a million to one against them including it. The new score that was on the finished film was recorded in a few days and was singled out by critics as being the worst score of that year. In the film it sounds like somebody is watching cartoons on tv very LOUDLY through out the enire film. I have never heard a score like it in my life and walked out of the movie in the theater because it was driving me nuts. Belushi was very upset about Tom Scott's score being removed from the film. I think it clearly did not help the film with critics or audiences.

widescreenforever

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
arthurjulius
I just watched Neighbors the other day on movie central, and the score is still fresh in my mind. I feel the 'hop skip and jump ' stye or cartoon flavor fitted the film well as the film itself was like a grownup adult cartoon.
Even the the last shot of Belushi laughing hysterically as his house burns,
fit the music as well.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
They could easily give us both assuming this score exists as do dialogue and effects tracks (think Battle of Britain).

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
I think there is a lot of interest in this film. Why it still sits in limbo is beyond me. It's the kind of comedy that already has a huge cult following and would generate a much larger one with a DVD release.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Yep, there is hope for silly 1980s comedies. I preordered Zapped! last week. If we can only get Under the Rainbow...and Neighbors I'd be one happy silly person.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks