Is my X-Box toast?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by John Pine, Aug 22, 2005.

1. John Pine

John Pine Supporting Actor

John Pine
    Started having a problem with my Xbox this weekend. When powered up, I hear a loud clicking noise that persists for about 5-10 seconds. Then, the circular “power on” light is solid red and blinks briefly green. I called X-box support, but all they could tell me was, "it’s a hardware failure". Is my hard drive dead? Also, should I pay $79 to refurb it, or just buy a new one for $149 or less. Are there any other repair options? The unit is one of the originals, 11/2001 and no save data of the HD is critical.

p.s. Yeah...I was one of those guys that stood in line at Wal-Mart for one of twenty available units.

2. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

Did you get the new power cord replacement thingy? Your unit needs one because of how old it is. Go to the X-Box website and order one for free.

3. John Pine

John Pine
    Yes, they offered a free one when I called Xbox Support.

4. Doug R

Doug R Supporting Actor

Welcome to the Xbox life cycle.. a lot of ppl are starting to get the clicking sound. I think the hard drive is dead.

5. John Pine

John Pine
    Doug: Thx for the feedback! That's what I was thinking as well.

Maybe I should wait a few months till the Xbox 360 comes out. The price of the regular Xbox may come down again.

6. EricW

EricW Cinematographer

i got that too, but on my modded xbox. now it works for the most part if i don't switch off-and-on quickly; when i turn off the box i have to wait a while before turning it on again and for the time being it's okay.

7. Ed B

Ed B Stunt Coordinator

Unfortunately nothing good lasts forever. There are 3 routes you can go. Firstly you'll need to figure out if its a HD or DVD-Rom problem, clicking more thank likely is HD but my unit at times has problems and its the DVD-Rom not the HD.

1. Go on eBay and or some XBox mod sites and see if anyone is selling their original 8G HD there might even be some sites that sell replacement parts that sell that HD. www.xbox-scene.com is a good place to start. If its the DVD there are links on the aforementioned site that will sell you replacement DVD drives for your xbox.

2. If its your HD time to mod your XBox with a larger HD. Many people tend to forget the other things you can do with a modded XBox, like host your mp3s, AVI and MPG files it can be turned into a multimedia server. Of course you can also find the emulators and play old school games like Joust etc.. on your modded XB.

3. Save your money and wait for the 360.

Ed