What's new

Is my website working? (1 Viewer)

Charles J P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ Paul
I am hosting my own website, but since I moved and switched ISPs, I'm not sure if its been working. I originally posted in the testing area, but one person replied and couldnt get to my site. Now I have made some mods to my XP firewall settings, and I'm wondering if you can get there now. I can see it, because I'm not leaving the ISPs network when I request the page. I used to use a "proxy" like www.safeweb.com but they are gone and have sold their domain. Does any one know of a similar site?

Stephen Orr

Screenwriter
I'm in the process of getting a teaching job, and just bought a domain name and web space (600MB!) for $99 with NoMonthlyFees. The $99 was a special twice a year deal to current customers, otherwise it's a $200 set up fee. I've been using them in various endeavors over the past three years and have been completely satisfied with them. After initial set up, they only charge $70 a year for maintenance, including the domain name upkeep. You might want to consider using them.

Charles J P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ Paul
Yeah, the plus with the way I was doing it was, it cost me $9 a year to register my domain with godaddy.com and then free domian management and redirection at mydomain.com and then free web server space, since it was my own server. They have HTTP ports blocked, but I could get around it with Quest, but using a non-standard port. That doesnt seem to work with Cox.

Darren Lewis

Supporting Actor
Same here. Must be your firewall that's blocking access. What webserver software are you using ISS or Apache?

Charles J P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ Paul
I'm actually using Omni HTTPd Professional. It worked the whole time I had Quest service. Cox is blocking my ports. :angry:

Joel Mack

Senior HTF Member
Charles,

I'm not positive, but I think running a web server from your machine on the Cox network is a violation of TOS, which is why they're probably blocking you.

They don't let people run game or FTP servers, either, AFAIK.

Charles J P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ Paul
Yeah, thats what the rep told me. They're not blocking me specifically, they are just blocking all ports on their firewalls.

JeffTodd

Stunt Coordinator
Something to check.....if they are blocking ports, maybe they are just blocking port 80. I was using Time Warner and they blocked 80. I simply changed my server to port 81 and anywhere I posted a URL just stated the port in the address (ie. www.testsite.com:81) It will get you around the port hassle. If that one is blocked then just pick another port.

Charles J P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ Paul
Thats what I was doing with qwest, but I cant get it to work with COX. I figure I'll just use my personal webspace allotment from them unless I run into any bandwith problems.

Charles J P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ Paul
OK, I still cannot get this to work. I dont know whether my connection is going down that much. I though I had it working becuase I could access the website from home with goproxy and Ken could access it. Now, I cannot access it from work through a direct connection or through goproxy. Anyone else want to give it a shot?

Charles J P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ Paul
OK, I have a feeling that I cant get to it because of firewalls at work that are blocking access since it just redirects to my servers IP and port that the webserver are running on.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks