Is my TV too far away from me??

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Andy Stocker, Nov 27, 2001.

1. Andy Stocker

Andy Stocker Stunt Coordinator

After reading Mike Knapp's "Squeezing the most out of home video part 2" I noticed that one of the recommendations was to try to sit twice the diagonal distance. I measured last night (32" Toshiba) and found that my couch, where I do my most watching, sits about 9 feet away from the TV. Is that too far? Twice the distance from a 32" would me 5.25 feet. Maybe that is why I have such a hard time watching my DVD's, because I'm too far away.

Anyway, I know that twice the diagonal distance was supposed to only a general rule, but is sitting 8 to 10 feet away from a 32" something that you professionals don't or wouldn't do?? See, I hesitate moving my couch toward the TV because I live in apartment and would really throw everything off, but I want to be able to experience "my home theater" like it should be experienced...

Thanks in advance,

Andy Stocker

2. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    I always thought it was 3 times the TV screen. Oh well, what do I know.

3. Scott Page

Scott Page Stunt Coordinator

Andy,

I sit about 10-11 feet away from my 65 inch RPTV. Yes, I think you are to far. Maybe you could add some heavy duty casters from Home Depot to the bottom of your couch to make it easy to roll up and back. You might also try moving the TV toward the couch some. You should know that the front 3 speakers will most likely sound better the further they are into the room. The front of my "fronts" is about 3.5-4.0 feet from the back wall. I've even heard of people putting their fronts 6-8 feet into the room. Moving them into the room increases channel separation and stereo imaging.

4. Rob Dawn

Rob Dawn Stunt Coordinator

Andy,

I too have a 32" TV and also sit about 9 feet away from the TV. It doesn't seem TOO far away to me, but I still can't wait to get a larger TV once the wife finishes school (finally, after only 3 tries over 16 years!) and gets to work.

But, I've heard you should sit 3-5 times the TVs HEIGHT (not diagonal) away from the TV. I think you use the height because what you want is to be far enough away to not see the horizontal scan(?) lines.

Based on that, we should be sitting 5-8 feet away from our TVs. So moving our couches closer would give us the illusion of a larger screen and we still shouldn't see any scan lines. But like you, my family room would look really odd if I pushed the couch 2 feet closer to the TV.

Rob

5. Legairre

Legairre Supporting Actor

I think Pioneer recommends 2.5 times the screen height for non-HD models.

6. RodrigoF

RodrigoF Auditioning

Crutchfield's guide of HT recommends you sit 3 times away of the diagonla size of your TV... I think that is a correct viewer distance...

7. Scott Page

Scott Page Stunt Coordinator

Rodrigo,

3 times the diag would put me 16 feet from my 65" RPTV. That is way to far for me but I might put the 2nd row of seats at about that. I don't think that applies to a widescreen TV but might for a standard TV.

I'm at about 2 times the diag for the best seat. I can go up to 1.5 times before it begins to be to close and scan lines start to be apparent.

8. Nick G

Nick G Stunt Coordinator

Maybe we are over complicating this a tad. Some of us might see scan lines on 32 inch TV at 6 feet and some of us not. It would also depend on the particular TV model as well. Some of us are near sighted some far sighted. As a preference some like to be closer to the TV and some not. If four of us go to the movies there usually are four different opinions on how far back from the screen we should sit. I think it pretty much comes down to experimenting with our particular TV and our particular vision and preference and sit where it looks the best to us. That is how I see it.

Nick