Is my TV dying?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bill_Rinaldi, Jul 29, 2002.

1. Bill_Rinaldi

Bill_Rinaldi Auditioning

I own a Mitsubishi 27" TV that I bought when I was 16 back in 96. This TV has been great and still works like a champ. It even survived falling off a couch! However I have started to notice horizontal lines faintly in the background. You can only notice them on a completely black screen. What exactly is happening? I've seen this before on a old Sears brand TV. It usually means that its on its last legs.

Is this something that I should be concerned with? It doesn't seem that a TV that is only 6 years old and especially a Mits. should be doing this. I want to get a HDTV Widescreen, but I'm not exactly ready to do it now.

2. Jim FC

Jim FC Stunt Coordinator

Bill,
    If the lines you see are moving or scanning across the screen, it is most likely a power-related problem. Monster Power makes an $80 surge protector that includes a circuit which cleans up the power a bit. I'd go buy one (from somewhere with a lenient return policy, of course) and plug it in, and see if the lines disappear. If it doesn't help, then there might be a problem with the TV after all, and you can return the surge (although it's not a bad idea to have a good one anyway).
    Your typical tube TV isn't going to last much more than 7-8 years - especially if it isn't plugged into a surge protector [​IMG] - so if it does fail soon you've gotten a pretty average lifespan out of it. Probably not worth fixing, as Mitsu hasn't made tube TVs in many years and parts are probably tough to come by (although a TV tech would know better than I).

3. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

It may be dying, but it's not dead till sparks shoot-out the connectors on the back. This is how I knew it was time to replace my Zenith with a new JVC. [​IMG]
    True Story.