What's new

Is my TV defective? (1 Viewer)

Nick

Second Unit
When I hooked up my TV to my Dishnetwork Receiver via HDMI I got washed out green color. My TV is Syntax Olevia 42"
I tried two different cable still acting the same. The picture comes out ok with
Component input.
I really hate to send it back for a replacement.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
There are three links in the HDMI singal path - the output on the Dish Network receiver, the cable and the input on your TV. (It can't be the color circuitry in the TV, because if that were off the component input would exhibit the same problem.) You've already eliminated the cable as the source, but you haven't necessarily narrowed it down to your TV.

You need to test the TV with another HDMI source - either another Dish reciever or a DVD player if you can borrow one that has HDMI. If the problem is in the TV it will persist, otherwise you'll know the Dish receiver is the source.

Regards,

Joe

Nick

Second Unit
I will get another receiver from Dish in a couple day I'll find that out. Let hope it's the receiver problem. It's kind of strange because that receiver belong to one of my other HD set (that one is tube not LCD). I just simply disconected from there and try it out on my new LCD. It was working fine with the tube set though.
My brother has DVD player with HDMI output I can try that to see if it will give me the same problem or not.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
1) Was the tube set also connected to the receiver via HDMI?

2) If (1) is true, did you use the same HDMI cable to connect it to your HDMI set?

Did you check the menus on the LCD set? Some of them require that you activate the HDMI input and you can get odd results if you don't. Also the HDMI input has different settings for color, tint, brightness, etc. So you'll want to check those.

Regards,

Joe

Nick

Second Unit
Ok. to make long story short.
I disconnect the HD receiver from my Tube TV along with HDMI cable and connect it to my new LCD.
The HDMI and Receiver both work fine with the tube TV (I didn't reconnect it back to the tube though to see if it's doing the same thing as the LCD)

I did check all the set up menu on the LCD if I have to Enable the HDMI first but didn't see anything there. If it wasn't enable I would't see the picture at all right ?
I will have to read though page by page again in the manual book to see if I miss anything. I hope it's just a simple problem that I missed.

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
Does the TV have a (manual) selection for RGB versus Y/Cb/Cr for the HDMI input, either in one of the menus or (rarely) as a switch next to the HDMI jack?

Eric Thrall

Stunt Coordinator
I recently went through something like this. One day, all of a sudden I had problems with my cable. Basically, everything that was dark colored was now green and everything else was a light purple. After experimenting, I found out it was only my cable seeing this problem. I tried connecting it by component instead of HDMI and the problems weren't there. Then I tried swapping my cable box for another one and replacing the HDMI cable and it still had the same problems.

I went through three different attempts to fix the problem through replacing boards inside the TV. Finally, after the third one didn't work, they let me replace the TV (I had gotten the extended warranty) so I got a bigger, better TV to replace it without spending anything extra. :)

Nick

Second Unit
I can just let it connect to the the component. But it will be such a waste to have two HDMI and can't use neither one of them. It's kind of sucks too because it's still brand new and not working right out of the box.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
I'd return it to the retailer. If it is brand new out of the box there should be no problem with the return. You've done all the troublehsooting steps to prove it is a defective set, not that that is even necessary with most reputable dealers these days. Granted it is a hassle, but but it beats keeping a known bad set and hoping it doesn't have any other flaws that just haven't shown up yet. You paid for HDMI, you should have HDMI. End of story.

Joe

Nick

Second Unit
I just got another receiver from Dish network and I'm having the same problem. I play around with the cable a little bit and the picture would come out normal but with no sound.
I went and got my brother's DVD player which has HDMI output. I connected and picture came out perfect.
For some reason I don't think my LCD works well with Dishnetwork receivers. I try to fish through the manual book to see if I have to enable something there but didn't anything.
Well, at least I know I can connect my Bluray or HD-DVD to it if I need to in the future.
I might give dish tech support a call to see what they'll say.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks