Is my subwoofer supposed to rattle?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chih Jieh Chang, Apr 16, 2002.

1. Chih Jieh Chang

I have the Energy S8.2 and if shake it (gently) I hear a marble-type object rattle around in the subwoofer. It operates fine. I was just wondering if this is a potential problem or not.

2. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

Sounds like a screw came loose or got dropped into the enclosure during construction. If you have no other problems with it, I would say leave it and be careful not to shake it too much.
    Or you could remove the driver and find out what it is. Hell, maybe some worker dropped his wedding ring in there. Or it's some sort of note that some Denon sweat shop worker is trying to send out calling for help. [​IMG]

3. Adam Krogul

Adam Krogul Stunt Coordinator

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    Or it's some sort of note that some Denon sweat shop worker is trying to send out calling for help.
    omg thats too funny, thanks for the laugh
    l8rz,
    adam

4. Chih Jieh Chang

Augh, I've been having some problems with the sub:

The sub turns itself off after 10 or so minutes when I use my system to watch TV (analog RCAs). This has happened several times already. I know that the sub has an auto on/off feature, but this 'thing' shouldn't be happening.

My sub is using a coax to the sub cxn on the 1602 and is connected to the crossover cxn on the sub.

I thought it may have been a power issue, so I plugged it into its own outlet and....same thing.

I'll probably take this back to get a replacement, but was wondering if I actually have a problem given Energy's quality and all.

5. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

A speaker system should not rattle.
    If the screw or whatever that is loose inside rattles when the volume it turned up, the speaker system should be opened up and the object removed. If you don't want to open it up and find out what is wrong, or if opening it up will void the warranty, then return it to the store for an exchange.
    Other problems:
    1. Part of the speaker cone is torn.
    2. A wire or part of the insulation has entered the framework and is touching the speaker cone.
    3. Some veneer inside (or outside) has come loose from the cabinet.
    4. Parts are not screwed together firmly.
    5. Check to be sure it is not some nearby object that is rattling.
    Video hints:
    http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

6. Ten_Smith

Ten_Smith Stunt Coordinator

I thought that if the TV signal included no LFE and no signals below the cross-over point, a sub would auto-off, even if its hooked up to a co-ax. I might be wrong on that. I've heard others say the only way around it is to turn off the auto-off feature.

7. GaryAR

GaryAR Agent

Chih Jieh Chang-

i have the energy encore speaker system, and the sub is way too prone to shutting itself off automatically if i have the volume down. unfortunately i don't know of any way to fix this (other than turning up the volume).

-gary

8. Barry Barnes

Barry Barnes Stunt Coordinator

Do you have Kids? They love to drop stuff in the ports... I found an entire Leggo set inside one of my speakers one time.... [​IMG]
    As to the sub shutting off problem, this can happen if your sub sees too little line voltage. It "thinks" your receiver has been turned off and does the same. Then when a loud passage comes on it will suddenly click on and blast you with a ton of bass.
    One solution is to increase the line voltage your subs sees from the receiver. This can be done by lowering the volume on the Sub and turning up the volume on your receiver's subwoofer level controller. Another way is to use a "Y" connector and loop the subwoofer output from the receiver into both inputs on the sub (if it has two inputs). This will give the subwoofer two voltage reference levels, thus increasing the input level that it senses. This often fixes that early shutoff problems for many. Certainly worth a try. You might try doing both fixes together if you still have problems...
    Also make sure that in "TV mode" that the subwoofer is indeed active and is being sent a signal from your receiver (obviously). If it's not then you may have to assign a "mode" to it, such as "Stereo PCM" or some other, rather than leaving it on on "auto detect format" mode. Good luck.

9. Brian Kleinke

Brian Kleinke Supporting Actor

My old 17" Monitor rattled whenever I moved it (I think it was a chunk of plastic). But worked fine... and I believe those CRT tubs/boards have a lot more stuff in em then a sub ;-)

But if I were to buy a new monitor and it rattled, I'd be getting a replacement. Same goes for any HT component.

A loose screw inside of a computer can very very easily get stuck in a fan, or short out a card. So its better to be safe then sorry (exp since warrenties don't last forever, unless you buy extended warrenties till your blue in the face and your wallet is empty.)

Brian

10. Chih Jieh Chang

Whew, seems like it's a 'feature' for the S8.2 after all. Yeah, I haven't been able to turn up the volume to my desired level this week. I think I put the sub in too optimal of a location [​IMG]. For the loose 'item' in the sub...after turning the sub around (vey gently) the item stopped moving around. Dunno if it got stuck somewhere or what. I got the 7yr service plan from Good Guys for it anyways, no biggie.
    I will have it all semi-blasting away this weekend. If the dern thing shuts off in the middle of an action movie, then there's a problem.
    btw, I'm in a 2nd floor apartment (3 floors total). I read another post about isolating the sound by putting a slab of concrete under the sub. Hopefully that'll work. Also, I don't have kids...heck, I'm only 23 [​IMG].