What's new

Is my sub dead? (or close to it anyways) (1 Viewer)

AndyVX

Supporting Actor
Hello,

I popped in The Matrix last night, and it seems that my sub is no longer working. Well, not fully working anyways.

I was getting barely any bass. I would get it with big explosions, but not with things like when punches were thrown and such.

I know I used to get some nice bass response, but not anymore. Normally I keep my receivers sub level at 3 (out of 10), but last night I had to crank it up to 9. The volume level on the sub was still in the same place at half way up.

So, does it sound like I need a new sub?
Any suggestions?

Thanks a bunch.

Michael R Price

Screenwriter
Andy,

Did your power go out recently? If the receiver was reset it could have lost memory of some of your settings, and that would explain a loss of bass (example: changing LFE limiter/trim or speaker size settings). Also, are all your connections solid? Something might be a little loose.

If your sub's sounding normally (even though it's less powerful), I don't think it's damaged.

AndyVX

Supporting Actor
I checked all the settings on the receiver, and all are the same. Connections seem fine as well.

Maybe the amp in the sub is dying? As it seems it needs a really strong LFE signal for it to do anything. (ie. an explosion).

I'll keep messing around with stuff though. Man, this is really going to hurt my bank account if I do infact need a new sub. :frowning:

Michael R Price

Screenwriter
Andy,

Maybe something's messed up in the sub amp controls... see if you can vary the crossover or volume control (upwards) and re-calibrate to get sound similar to what you had before. It would seem as if the actual amplifier part is working fine, if it makes any reasonable sound.

Can you ask your dealer or subwoofer manufacturer if they've ever heard of this problem? They could help better than we can.

AndyVX

Supporting Actor
Something happened last night, that's making me think it may be my receiver while I was playing around with settings using The Matrix.

My sub (maybe most are like this) have an auto-on feature, so that it stays in standby until it detects a signal. Normally, the sub will kick on as soon as the menu for the Matrix loads up. But it doesn't anymore.

I'm thinking now that it's my receiver that is messed up, and not sending out a proper LFE signal. Does this sound more probable?

Thanks again.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks