Is my Speaker system Good?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by HazemA., Jan 13, 2004.

1. HazemA.

HazemA. Auditioning

I just bought a KOSS 300-Watt Home Theater System from Best Buy, and I was wondering how good it is. It's a 5.1 and I got it for 150.00. Thanks in advance.

2. JasonMA

JasonMA Stunt Coordinator

In the world of home theater, you usually get what you paid for. Some people spend as much on wire to hook their systems up as you did on your whole system. However, it doesn't matter how much you spend in the end really. What's important is how you think your new home theater package sounds, whether it cost $150.00 or $15,000.00.

Set up your system, pop in your favorite movie, and sit back and enjoy. If you like what you hear, then keep it. If it sounds truly horrible and you can't stand it, then you may want to save a few more bucks and get something better.

As a quick note, you'll find that most HTIB (Home Theater In a Box) systems, such as the kind you bought, are not really that good. There are some exceptions though. You'll find alot of info, some good and some not-so-good, on HTIBs in this forum if you do a search.

Remember the most important rule though, if you like the way it sounds, that's all that matters.

3. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Here's where you want to post when seeking feedback on a recent HTiB purchase. The Basics area is for general discussion at the beginner level only.

4. John S

John S Producer

Bewteen Optical, Digital Coax Audio, Component Video, speaker wire, svideo, and analog RCA audio/video cables, I think I have about twice invested in just my cables, than you have in your system.

With that said, if you like the way it sounds, that is all that matters.

HTIB's are best for many people. You must understand this is a forum where most of us tend to be into either high end video or higher end audio, or higher end both.

And I tend to be at the more bargain end of those that are members here.

5. Robert Cowan

Robert Cowan Supporting Actor

hehe, i have one cable that costs more than that. my power cords cost more, etc...

BUT! if you are happy with it, consider yourself lucky that you dont have to plop down thousands on cables for your system!

6. Bruce-E

Bruce-E Stunt Coordinator

Just enjoy it now,because you will get the urge to upgrade just like the rest of us.Finding new and better gear is half the fun of home theater!

7. Jonathan Dagmar

Jonathan Dagmar Supporting Actor

What you have is absolutely fine as a beginners system.

I myself spent a LOT of time (read: a year) researching Home theatre. When I finally had an opptorunity to make my purchase I knew what I wanted, and what I could afford, and struck a balance between the two. I decided to buy every component separately, to make it easy to upgrade one by one.

As I also wanted to get the best picture quality that I could afford, I needed a new tv as well. At some point in my life, hopefully sooner than later, I intend to be a wealthy person. However, at 19 years of age, I am not ashamed to admit that my funds are limited. For that reason I gave myself a budget of $2000 hard earned dollars.

I purchased:

-JVC i'art 27" TV. Analog, featured 16:9 squeeze for anamophic DVDs. Paid $599 Canadian.
    -Panasonic XR-25 full digital reciever. $479. This reciiever provides plenty of power, plenty of inputs, and superb sound quality, all in a nice compact package. I had tried a couple of more traditional "analog" recievers in store, both were somewhat more expsnive, but this one sounded much better. Really.
    -Panasonic F65 DVD players. I have nothing to compare it to, but I feel that the image quality couldn't be much better. I like that it offers extensive uder control over shaprness, contrast, etc. $229.
    -A Yamaha NS P436 speaker package. Includes 5 fairly heafty sattelites, center channel, and a 100w powered sub. $499. This is the only purchase that I am not 100% satisfied with. I think I focused a little to much on cost, and probably should have spent slightly more. That said, it does prodivde a very nice sound for the price, and certainly much, much better than the plastic sattelite/passive sub combos that most HTIAB feature.

Of course, I already have upgrade fever. I would love to replace my speakers with Athena bookshelves all around. Space constraints and cost prevent me from doing this just now. Similarly I would really love to have a big beatiful Hi Def progressive scan LCD TV.

BUT, and here's the big but, and the reason I posted all of this. I still am very, very happy with that I have right now. When I sit down and watch a movie, I enjoy it like I have never enjoyed movies before. EVen a modest system like mind is more enjoyable than going to the theatre. I find myself waiting for movies to come out on DVD these days rather than seeing them in the theatre, save for big big releases like Lord of the Rings, I could never wait for that...

And now my point. (Yeah, I do have one!)

$2000 may be a lot more than a $150. But I would be willing to bet that you $150 system will sound better than anything you have ever heard in your home before. There is no reason why you should feel insecure about your purchase, and I suggest you enjoy it to the fullest. $150 dollard is a small enough sum that if you really get into home thatre it wont hurt to much to start fresh.

8. Kevin G.

Kevin G. Second Unit

I whole-heartedly disagree John, when I stumbled across this forum, I was upgrading from my first htib and became enveloped the Bose marketing machine, and severely misinformed, far from into "high end", but I learned, and am still learning.
    I have also noticed that everyone is super in adding that if it sounds good to you, then that's all that matters, and that's the great thing about this forum and all it's feedback.

9. John S

John S Producer

Kevin G., you don't feel most of us that are members here tend to be into higher end audio and video? Mind you that I did not say all of the members here, but I think the statement about most members here is true.

I'm not sure what you are disagree'n with?? lol

10. Scott L

Scott L Producer

I think *most* of us are into bargains, great sound for cheap. This is the place that gave the JBL Northridge speakers, Sony WAM-40 12" sub, and X1 a name. [​IMG]

I'd uprgade in a heartbeat if budget would allow, but I am content with my POS for the time being.

11. Jonathan Dagmar

Jonathan Dagmar Supporting Actor

I think that most of us here would LIKE to be into high end audio and video. I also think that many of the MOST prolific posters ARE into high end video and audio. However I do not think that MOST of the members fit into the latter category.

12. John S

John S Producer

Interesting.. I stand corrected.

13. HazemA.

HazemA. Auditioning

Thanks guys, btw I'm only fourteen and I support many of my hobbies so going with a 500 dollar system was an option but I like to save some money incase I would like something for another hobby. I plan on setting it up this weekend, I just bought some Hangers so I can put up the speakers where I want them. How high up should I place the rear surrounds? I had originally bought an "AMW" system from best buy for 89.99, but I discovered it wasn't the best decision and went with the Koss 300-Watt one. I'm happy with my purchase, it looks good and I tested the display and was pleased. I guess I was just wondering how other people thought about it, if there were any problems down the road.

Thanks again!

14. John S

John S Producer

Well after installation, come back and give us a review on it... Then at least others that may be interested can find it on a search here on these forums.

15. dan-0

dan-0 Stunt Coordinator

16. Kevin. W

Kevin. W Screenwriter

Oh how quickly you will learn how this hobby will consume you and your hard earned money. Personally I would have looked at one of those HTIB that offer a receiver as part of it. That way down the road if you upgrade your speakers you can power them with the receiver.

ht_addict

17. Robert Cowan

Robert Cowan Supporting Actor

personally i think there are VERY FEW people in the high end audio or video on this forum. most of it is mid-fi. (im defining high end as HT systems in the $100K+ range).

everyone starts from somewhere. i started with a computer outputting to an aiwa minisystem. when i bought cables for it, i CRINGED at $14.99 for audio patch cables. now i have $100/pair interconnects on my antenna for TV [​IMG] they were the cheapest thing i could dig up to use.

18. HazemA.

HazemA. Auditioning

The Koss that I got comes with a 5-disc changer, and is also the reciever. Was this what you were talking about? I can use that on different speakers if I decide to later, right?

19. John S

John S Producer

Well the post was surely meant to be worded Higher end both. (Audio and Video)

I guess interpretations are certainly personal.
    I would assert anybody vewing at 480p, and or veiwing any HDTV content fall into the statement parameters video wise.

And mid-fi should be considered higher end audio from either no-fi or low-fi anyways.

But you are correct, and I do stand corrected. There are not as many here as I previously thought.

I think also the equipment owned or not owned, should not really even come into play here. If your one that reads and educates yourself on Higher End Video and Audio technologies and products, you also fall into the statement parameters.

20. Ernest Yee

Ernest Yee Supporting Actor

Asking that question in a forum like this is asking for one large injection of upgraditis.