Is my Sony DVPS7700 DVD player dying?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Scott_lb, Jan 13, 2004.

1. Scott_lb

Scott_lb Supporting Actor

I've owned this player since Spring of 2001 (purchased new) and it has been used moderately at best. However, during this past week I have noticed some problems with some specific discs which had no problem previously:

1. On "South Park: Volume One" (not season one, but the original disc with a few episodes on it), a "letter box" sized black bar appeared at the bottom of the screen and wasn't "even." In other words, the bar was much smaller on the left than it was on the right. Also, there was a substantial "ghosting" of the images on the screen (I'm talking big-time ghosting here - not something like edge-enhancement).

2. The "ghosting" problem occured on "The Goonies" as well.

3. When playing the new "U2: Live from Slane Concert" DVD, the disc froze during the end of the song "One" and started up again about 10 seconds further into the song.

4. Some of the DVD+R's I've made to back-up some discs aren't reading at all. For example, I made a back up copy of "Pirates of the Carribean" on DVD-X Copy because my newphew and niece watch it all the time and I don't want their peanut butter fingerprints on the master disc. This movie requires two discs since it's dual layered. Disc one (layer one of the master disc) reads fine, but disc two (layer two of the master disc) won't read at all - I get the C13:00 error message. However, I am currently borrowing a friend's Pioneer 563A to try it out and both "Pirates" discs work fine. I have a few other DVD+R discs that work fine as well.

I realize that the 7700 is an older model, however, it has been well taken care of and used at a moderate rate (at best). If it is indeed dying, this will be the third Sony DVD player I've had that has died on me. If I were to replace it, I'd likely go with the Denon 2200, the Pioneer 563A, or the Sony ES 5-disc changer (only because it comes with a 5 year warranty).

2. Clint

Clint Stunt Coordinator

I have a 7700, what's the "ghosting" problem on "The Goonies"?

If you have not already done so, but maybe try cleaning the laser.

3. Scott_lb

Scott_lb Supporting Actor

Clint - It sort of looks like placing two images very close to one another yet still seeing two images (think of viewing a 3D movie with the red and blue glasses off). The problem was more significant and lasted longer on "South Park" than on "The Goonies", however.