What's new

Is my Shiva defective? (1 Viewer)

Nick_Shah

Stunt Coordinator
Let me see if I can explain this properly.

I received my Shiva about a week ago from Bob Reimer (Canadian Adire dealer), who is an excellent person to deal with.

I was preparing to mount it today, when I realized that the outer foam ring, that is, the one that is notched for the mounting screws is mis-aligned. I can see the mounting holes on the metal from below, but I can't access them from above due to the foam being in the way.

Is my driver defective?

Can I somehow (safely) remove this ring and place it on the holes properly, so the notches match the mounting holes?

I've contacted both Bob and Adire with the above details, and await their reply as well.

Thanks,

-Nick

Robin Smith

Stunt Coordinator
Well, depending on how you are mounting it, you can just take it off altogether. I did this with my Dayton DVC (15" driver - like a Tempest) as I just thought it looked ugly.
You can sort of see it here:
http://www3.sympatico.ca/robin.smith1/Sonosub/six.html
If you can't see it well enough I could probably try and take a different picture.
I think the point of the foam surround is if you are going to mount the driver on the inside. It would give enough clearance so that the mount wouldn't interfere with the movement of the sub cone. Since mine is mounted on the outside of the enclosure, it isn't necessary.
Hope this helps.
Robin

Ned

Supporting Actor
Nick-

Do you want any of this 16" sonotube still?

I just need some large paper to mark the cut line and then I can trim it neatly with my tablesaw.

Nick_Shah

Stunt Coordinator
Robin,
Thanks for that info, I am certainly eased by it. I haven't yet decided what to do, but will soon. How did you remove the surround? Was there some kind of glue holding it in place? Was it easy to remove? Nice sub by the way. :)
Ned,
I decided to go with a larger diameter tube due to height constraints. Thanks for the offer though. If I do need some in the future, or if anyone I know is attempting a sonosub project, I'll be sure to keep you in mind.
Any other opinions on the matter?
-Nick

DanWiggins

Second Unit
Nick,

It's not a problem. It's common for a good portion of the mounting holes to be covered by the foam of the surround; it's a one-piece unit that is round, not notched. Just run the screw through the basket hole (going through the surround) and you will be fine.

Dan Wiggins
Adire Audio

Ned

Supporting Actor
My SVS "improved" driver had a similar issue with the gasket, as did my Eclipse subwoofer driver. As long as the screws go through the real holes in the metal frame it seems to work ok.

Cam S

Screenwriter
Guys, I think some of you are thinking that the part getting in the way of his screw holes is the material that makes up the suround of the driver. I think he is talking about the cork ring that is attached to the driver getting in his way.

Robin Smith

Stunt Coordinator
It basically peeled off. The stuff on my Dayton seemed to be made of a layer dense cardboardy fibre material (it is cork-like as Cam calls it). I basically peeled off down the layer closest to metal ring. There is maybe a millimeter or two thickness of the stuff left.
I uploaded a quick page to my site with four BIG images of the underneath so that you can see it better. They are all pretty much the same photo, but you can check them out to see the look I ended up with.
http://www3.sympatico.ca/robin.smith...sub/under.html
Good luck
Robin

Nick_Shah

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for all the replies.
Robin, thanks for taking the time to post that page, the closer views really do help.
Cam, you're absolutely right, I am talking about the 'cork ring' around the outside of the surround.
After speaking to a few people, and seeing Robin's pictures, I decided to remove the ring, glue it, and reposition it correctly. Worked like a charm! I'm almost done the sub now! Yay! :)
Thanks again,
-Nick

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks