Is my Shack SPL meter defective?

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by RichardJ, Jul 30, 2003.

1. RichardJ

RichardJ Stunt Coordinator

Hey -

I just bought my first SPL meter, the analog model from Radio Shack. I am trying to equalize the volume settings on my speakers by using the Yamaha test tones, which are a pink noise static (sounds like a radio with no signal). However, while the BATT TEST mode shows a signal, and sometimes the needle bounces when changing the range, I am not getting a reading at all! At 60, 70, or 80 db the needle stays at -10db, even when I crank the volume to an almost painful level. I have the meter set a mode C and slow weighting, though changing those settings seems to do nothing.

Does anyone have advice on how to get this thing to work, or is it probably just defective?

Thanks!

Richard

2. Kevinkall

Kevinkall Second Unit

Sounds like it may be broke. I have the Radio Shack Digital SPL meter and love it!

3. Josh~H

Josh~H Stunt Coordinator

There's definitely something wrong with it. At comfortable listening levels, the test tone will probably be in the 60-70 dB range. I just bought the analog model at Radioshack this past weekend, and it works great.

4. Rajeev_s

Rajeev_s Stunt Coordinator

I bought analog SPL meter at RS for $25, it works just fine. Calibration was smooth. May be yours is defective, RS will exchange it, I think their return policy is good.

5. Rus Bowisc

Rus Bowisc Stunt Coordinator

Quick question... I apologize for going OT...

Are "compensation" settings the same for both the analog and digital RS meter?

Rus

6. David_Stein

David_Stein Second Unit

i had the same thing happen on the first SPL meter i bought from radio shack. they had no problem switching it with a new one when i went back to the store.

7. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne