What's new

Is my school the only one that does this? (1 Viewer)

Jeff Braddock

Second Unit
Like any college student, I have had to write my fair share of papers. One of which is an exegetical. Well, I was just wondering if anybody else had to write these or anything similar? Not all majors at my school do, but I am one of the lucky ones that do. So, does anybody else have to write exegeticals or something comparable?

ChrisMatson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
Isn't that just a fancy word for "explanatory?" Sounds more like a speech class. What class or major is this for?

Leila Dougan

Screenwriter
I just graduated from a state university and had to write no such thing. I majored in the sciences (chemistry/biology). I think I wrote a total of 6-7 papers my entire college career and they were all for the required English and social science classes. We did take a lot of tests in my major, but no exegeticals. In fact, I have never even heard of it until now. Call me uneducated, if you like ;)
Here is a nice page describing an exegetical:
http://www.chass.utoronto.ca/philoso.../exegesis.html

Jeff Braddock

Second Unit
Yes Leila, just scanning that article looked pretty much right. The major is Christian ministries. We have to select a Biblical passage and exegete it by doing word studies, examining poetic parallellisms (if present), examine the historical background of and surrounding the passage, etc. I figured it was more of a major intensive type thing, but I was just wondering.

Matt Stryker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt
Actually, my wife is hammering away at a paper right now that is an exegetical (although I didn't know the meaning of the word until reading Leila's link). It is for a seminary class though; most religious schools (of any denomination/belief) concentrate a lot on writing style/meanings etc. She's not enjoying it, I know that.

jeff lam

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeff Lam
Yep, Lot's of my friends wrote them. Pacific Christian College in Fullerton CA is where I lived while going to Devry and most of the students there wrote them as well as several other 20-30 page papers. Glad i never had to do it though. Writing long papers is not my thing. How's/was Greek???:D

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
When I was in high school, my English teacher required analysis like this for most of our papers. We would primarily analyze passages/books for hidden meanings, imagery, metaphors, alliteration etc. to prove our thesis.

The method in itself seems ok, but a lot of times it is more like grasping at straws. Sometimes I don't think an author had a special purpose in putting the "D" sound, for example, 4 times in a particular paragraph on purpose or to drive home a point. It was just a conicidence in writing. Also, for the most part all writing is descriptive in some way. If you think long enough you can tie almosy every metaphor to your thesis to prove your argument.

It is a good method to analyze and critically think about what you are reading, but in the end relly does not prove much about a piece of work.

Danny R

Supporting Actor
My wife has been there, done that... got the diploma!

Exegesis classes are part and parcel for most M.Div's, but you throw in the fact that you are usually also looking at the text in the original documented languages (Greek/Hebrew).

Here is a course description of the class my wife took:

B153 Exegesis of the New Testament

Cousar or Saunders or Beth Johnson

The Greek text of a Pauline letter is read and interpreted in the introductory course in New Testament exegesis. Particular attention is given to the methods and resources of exegesis and to the letter’s place in the Pauline corpus.

Fall 3 credits/1 unit

Jeff Braddock

Second Unit
Well, I have not taken Greek or Hebrew yet (Hebrew next semester) so I am pretty reliant on commentaries, lexicons, different translations, etc. As for studying a work such as a book, that would be a horse of a different color I believe. In my case, we look at a passage and try to discover what is truly being meant by the author. Well, I have to head out...

Jeff Braddock

Second Unit
Wow, alot of people going to seminary.
Philip, that makes me feel rrreeeaalll safe...:)
Garrett, not quite...and hey, if I wanted to get money from people, I would go back to telemarketing. :) (I know it's a hated profession, but ya gotta put food on the table somehow...:) )

Danny R

Supporting Actor
You need to go to college to get a job that equates to begging people for money on sunday-television?

Depends on the faith.

I know Baptist ministers who have no education, yet ran revivals (big money raisers) all the time.

Presbyterian ministers need a master's degree, but the church wasn't that wealthy and only did one or two sermons a year on stewardship.

And our Episcopal minster in town had a Ph.D, but NEVER asked for money, and the offering plate was not passed. You gave privately.

So in my experience, the more education you have, the less you ask for money. ;-)

Jeff Braddock

Second Unit
Well, I can only speak from my experience, but as for the revivals being money rasiers...that's not the reason that revivals are held (or at least it's not why they should be held.

Matt,

What passage is your wife exegeting?

Danny R

Supporting Actor
that's not the reason that revivals are held

I didn't say that was the only reason. Any minister who is doing it just for the money needs to find a new line of work.

Jeff Braddock

Second Unit
Danny,

I whole heartedly agree.

Matt,

I hear the last minute thing. Mine had to be from 7 - 20 or so pages. I did mine the night before. I should be getting it back on Tues. so I will see what I made.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks