What's new

Is my RPTV a true HDTV? (1 Viewer)

Gary GJB

Auditioning
I have a Hitachi 65SWX20B. Is it a true HDTV? I have satellite, what do I need to veiw the limited HDTV that is out there? If I replaced my current satellite antenae with the oval antenae and a set top box is that all I need? Thanks.

Hal_J

Agent
gary,
welcome to the forum. here is what i recommend. i am by no means an expert though.
first, read the manual that came with your tv. second, read through any FAQs and scan the threads in the basics area. you should see definitions for HDTV and the like. if after doing a little work on your own, you still cant figure it out, you might want to post a question like this over in the basics area.
if you still cant figure out what features your tv has, let me know, i would like to sell you a few... :)

Mike I

Supporting Actor
You need the HD satellite Set top box as well as an antenna for Over the air digital channels that are available in your area..There is actually quite a bit of HD on the National Network channels such as CBS, ABC and NBC..WB even has some.....
Go to www.titantv.com to see what digital channels are available in your area...Just about all the top 40 markets in the country have HD available to them now over the air and many major markets have HD available thru their cable provider..

Gary GJB

Auditioning
Mike I,
When you say "Over the air digital channels" on satellite what are you refering to? I thought all my satellite reception on Direct TV is digital. I would need the HD satellite and HD set top box to get the HD programming - am I correct?

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Gary,

I believe Mike is talking about non-satellite OTA. AFAIK, all the major markets have free OTA HD broadcasts from various networks. The OTA HD tuner is what's missing in most HD-ready TVs that make them HD-ready. Technically, HDTVs should have the tuner built-in although we often ignore the technical/literal definition of "HDTV" in most discussions since extremely few actually have built-in tuners (and tend to cost way too much for the added tuners).

If you get an HD sat receiver like the Samsung SIR-TS160 or Hughes E86, you should be able to get both non-sat OTA HD and whatever HD channels that Directv offers, eg. HDNet, HBO, Showtime and maybe ESPN in the near future.

If you want Dish, they have more limited choices for receivers and seem to allow modular upgrades so you don't have to pay for certain items like OTA HD that you might not want.

FWIW, I'm considering getting the Samsung unit for OTA HD and limited HD from Directv.

_Man_

Nicky

Auditioning
I hear the Sony SAT SD200 is pretty good, and the price would suggest so as well...any opinions on that, since I'm also looking to buy a HDTV receiver.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Hmmm... That's odd. I thought I did an edit and added that you can also get OTA-only tuners like the Samsung SIR-T151 or T165, if you don't want to upgrade your sat receiver/service.

For more details and recommendations on receivers, I suggest checking the A/V Source forum instead.

_Man_

Gary GJB

Auditioning
Man Fai,
So you are saying that there is a tuner available that I can buy and I could keep my current antenae? About how much do they cost? What is the addy foor the A/V source forum? Thanks.

Mike I

Supporting Actor
Gary
There are direct tv HD tuners that allow you to get both the HD available on Satellite, HBOHD, Showtime HD and HD net as well as the other Direct tv channels..Theses HD tuners also have the ability to receive your local Digital channels over the air in which you need a UHF antenna as well as your direct tv dish connected to the tuner..The HD tuner will incorporate the over the air digital channels into the direct tv channel guide so they will all be listed..As mentioned in a previous post there are also HD turners available for over the air local reception only...

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
This is what Man mean by A/V sources. It's just one of the forum's subsections that lumps in all the audio/video sources like DVD Players, LD players, PVRs, HDTV receivers, etc.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Gary,
Check here regarding what you can get OTA w/ the kind of antenna you have:
www.antennaweb.org
If you have no trouble receiving UHF analog channels right now, there's high likelihood that you can use the same antenna for what's available in your area.
As for prices of HD receivers, here are prices for the ones I mentioned:
* Samsung SIR-T151 OTA-only: $350 from J&R (www.jandr.com)
* Samsung SIR-T165 OTA-only w/ switcher/hub function: $500 from J&R
* Samsung SIR-TS160 for OTA + Directv: circa $600 depending on what deal you can or cannot get although at worst you can get it for $620 from www.americansatellite.com
* Hughes E86 for OTA + Directv: circa $550
Some people seem to be waiting for satellite HD receivers that integrate HD PVR functionality, and that's something to consider given the cost of these receivers.
Also, depending on what HD programming you can get from the various sources, you might want to consider digital cable at least on a short term basis since they don't usually require any commitment. Satellite still does not offer local channels in HD, eg. no Super Bowl in HD, but your cable provider might. In fact, I'm thinking about doing just that to hold me over until I can decide on a receiver. Since I'm not already a satellite user, I should probably wait until late-Spring when the trees are back in full bloom and more OTA HD service returns before doing the installation--yes, believe it or not, some places in the NYC area do have trees though not much. ;)
_Man_

Chris_HD

Agent
Don't forget the Samsung SIR-T150. It's out of production but there is still new old stock out there, and good clean used units are not hard to find (I just sold mine). One of the nice features of this settop is that is has both component and RGB outputs. Great for those with older Mits HDTV's with RGB inputs. No converter needed.

Chris

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks