What's new

Is my Room Size too Small? (1 Viewer)

Vin_G

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Vince
Ok I have attached two scenerios for my home theater. As you can see I will be developing my basement with a small bedroom and bathroom (that already has plumbing roughed in). The problem is that I am trying to make the room rectangular and there is a beam that drops down......which will stick out since I will be drywalling the ceiling. So scenerio 1 is were I go for the biggest room I can and have a wall just beyond the low beam (7.5 foot to beam); Scenerio 2 I make the new wall where the beam is and make the room more narrow, now making the bedroom, bathroom, hallway and entrance bigger. But is this to my advantage, or should I make the home theater as big as possible as the bedroom is just for guests and I haven't decided what to do with the hallway and entrance room. In scenerio 2 the home theater looks like it is getting too small. What do ya'll think?

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Vin,

There's no technical or theoretical reason to call a 13' x 16'5" room "too small" for a Home Theater. Mine has a slightly different form factor, but is almost the same size (yes, I know, I live in a city house in Europe :) ).

Of course a bit more space is always nice, but (to play the devil's advocate a bit here, because we all like our HT to be big) there are also other considerations.

a. Once you're seated in your HT, that bit of more space (to 16' x 18'8") doesn't add THAT much anymore to the overall quality of the room. Especially not from a viewing point-of-view and if you calibrate your HT properly audio-wise, not much in that respect either. The law of diminishing returns.

b. I understand plan 2 will provide you with space for two nice and always very useful closets (one in the bedroom and one in the bathroom) or cabinets. Perhaps even a "build-in" wardrobe for the bedroom.

c. The beam in your HT wouldn't be too much of a (technical or visual) problem, but it's not a nice view either.

d. Granted, the guestroom is just for guests - but are you sure you will never want to let it use in some future by members of the household, e.g. a kid?

e. A properly equipped bedroom will add more to the value of the property than a slightly bigger HT (it's sad, but that's how it is...).

f. You can use some of the space you gain in plan 2 by better sound-proofing the HT, perhaps even to a superior degree. Very important in the direction of a bedroom!

(e. You may win a few inches back by placing the projection screen somewhat closer to the wall.)

So... my heart would say "make the HT as big as possible", but my good sense makes me advise plan 2.

Good luck with your final decision, it will be difficult! :)

Cees

PS Probably no need to say this, but don't forget to bring a cable and an ethernet connection to the bedroom. If possible and applicable.
C.

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
I think the theater room would look more spacious if you put the screen much closer to the wall behind it and put cabinets, etc. on the side or back of the room or out in the "lobby" behind the room.

I would go with Plan 1 (bigger theater room) for the back wall of the room. At least so related stuff (DVD's etc.) can be stored inside.

That said, there is no compelling reason to make a theater room particularly large unless lots of people are going to be in it or you have a massive collection of DVD's (and/or larger videos like laser disks and/or VCR tapes), or books if say, the room is also going to be a library.

A medium sized screen 8 feet away is equal to a big screen 15 feet away.

Off topic: I think the idea of going through a bathroom to get to any other room is abhorrent. Better IMHO would be a corridor going past the bathroom to get to the bedroom and a bifold door opening inward into what remains of the bathroom. A compromise between your Plan 1 and Plan 2, regarding the theater side wall, might provide a better direct corridor to the bedroom.

Home theater hints: Constructing a Basement Home Theater

Vin_G

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Vince
Thanks guys for your comments. I do agree Allan on getting rid of the walk-through bathroom idea. I'll turn that wall 90 degrees.

So you don't think it would look better if I hung an acoustically transparent screen infront of the speakers? I thought it would look sleek and the center channel can be mounted at proper height :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RobRWA123
Recent bookmarks