What's new

Is my retailer giving me BS??? (1 Viewer)

Shane J

Stunt Coordinator
I have a an LPX 510 yamaha projector.

I went to my AV people and told them I needed a DVD player with an HDMI out on it so I could use it with my projector.

He said that I would get a better picture by using a component cable to my projector, rather than HDMI. He said that with HDMI, it will use the DVD players video processing unit. With the component cable interlaced, it will use my projector's video processing unit. Since my projector was a $4500 projector he said that it would be better to use its video processing unit.

So, I bought a Pioneer DV-45a projector. Bring it home, set it up via component cables......525i resolution. The SAME resolution I was getting with my cheapo player.

So, should I return the dvd player and opt for something with a DVI or HDMI out so I can get a better picture and resolution or was what he was telling me the truth?

mark alan

Supporting Actor
you need an upconverting dvd player. The DVD format only has 480 lines of resolution.

I personally doubt you would see much difference between having your projector scale to 720 lines of resolution (your projectors native resolution) versus buying an upscaling dvd player. I would keep your cheapo player and run component cables.

Shane J

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the input.

So, running a DVI upscaling DVD player wont give me a much better picture?

Leo Kerr

Screenwriter
A major advantage of using a DVI or HDMI or other alphabet soup digital connection is the lack of an analog presence in the signal chain until the signal is converted to analog by the projector's imaging unit.

If you go with an analog connection, your DVD player will (a) D->A. The Projector will then immediatly A->D, process, and then feed the imager that performs yet another D->A.

With the digital connection, yes, the DVD player decodes the image from the MPEG-II, but it remains in digital form. The signal passes through as a large collection of bits to the projector which then does its own math on it, before one and only one D->A conversion before pumping it out the lens.

Leo Kerr

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
DVI/HDMI may or may not be better depending on implementation. The D/A argument is theoretically correct, but in practice the implementation is more important.

Your projector will scale any input to it's native resolution so using an upscaling player only moves the location of the scaling to the player, but unless it 1:1 maps the panel resolution of the projector the projector is still scaling too.

John S

Senior HTF Member
Does it look excellent to you?

If not persue it further. If it is really excellent to your eyes, I would not persue it personally if so, and would be very proud of my display choice to know it has most excellent de-interlacing and scaling capabilites built in.

I can see that projector producing very very good video from a 480i source over component video indeed.

There is some quirky stuff that can go on with even sending 480p from the DVD player, let alone upscaled, and then add in some of the oddities of a purly digital connection, ect..ect..ect....

I have seen many a modern display that excel with 480i via component video connection for DVD viewing. Experimentation is the only way to see if you can improve upon that in all honesty.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks